JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations worldwide. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers and small business, commercial banking, financial transaction processing, and asset management. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, JPMorgan Chase & Co. serves millions of consumers in the United States and many of the world’s most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under its J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Information about JPMorgan Chase & Co. is available at http://www.jpmorganchase.com/.
The JPMorgan Chase Legal Department is responsible for providing legal services to the firm and is organized by practice groups that generally align with the firm’s lines of business and corporate staff areas. This structure encourages legal teams, businesses and staff areas to collaborate on legal, regulatory and business developments in a highly effective manner.
Consumer & Community Banking Legal
The Consumer & Community Banking (CCB) Regulatory, Operations & Controls Legal Team (ROC) is responsible for providing legal services to CCB Operations, including collection and recovery, collection litigation, bankruptcy, sworn document processes, tax reporting, escalated customer complaints and third party oversight. The team is also responsible for providing regulatory advice to all CCB businesses and control partners on key consumer protection statutes such as the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Telephone Consumer Protection Act, and Unfair/Deceptive Acts and Practices. In addition, ROC regularly advises senior business leaders regarding new products and services; ongoing and emerging legal, regulatory, operating, and reputational risks; various federal, state and local legislative and regulatory efforts; litigation and enforcement matters; and specific transactions and operating practices.
Consumer Collection Advisory Legal Position
Within ROC, Collection Advisory Legal (“CAL”) provides legal regulatory and advisory support to all of the various CCB businesses on a cross-LOB basis. CAL is seeking an experienced attorney whose primary responsibility will be to provide legal advice to the Home Lending business on consumer debt collection matters. The attorney will also assume various cross-LOB collection and regulatory advisory responsibilities. (See full description of Duties below). The position will be located in Plano, TX.
The responsibilities of the position include:
- Accountable for select collection topics and initiatives that impact specific CCB LOBs or CCB on a cross-LOB basis.
- Provide legal guidance to the Home Lending business, other CCB LOBs, compliance, and control teams on federal and state laws, rules and regulations applicable to consumer debt collection.
- Act in a liaison role on consumer debt collection topics impacting other areas of the firm outside of CCB.
- Review LOB documentation (including policies, procedures, correspondence, customer communications, and contracts) to provide quality control in the consumer debt collection process.
- Partner with legal and business teams to identify and analyze new legislative and regulatory requirements and provide gap analyses against current Home Lending and other LOB practices.
- Draft comment letters on proposed laws, rules and regulations affecting consumer debt collection.
- Conduct legal research.
- Collaborate closely with other legal members and other departments.
- Analyze and solve escalated issues raised in a broad variety of matters involving consumer debt collection.
- All candidates for roles in the Legal department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment.
- J.D. or educational equivalent required and at least 7 years of experience as a licensed attorney. Attorney candidates must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements including the requirements of the jurisdiction where the role will be located prior to commencement of employment.
- Outstanding verbal and written and communication skills.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Excellent organization skills with keen attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to synthesize information to reach logical conclusions.
- High degree of initiative, self-direction and ability to work independently, as well as within a team.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability and willingness to present to senior business and legal leaders and stakeholders.
- Highly motivated, results oriented and client focused.
- Strong sense of integrity and dedication to protecting the reputation of the firm.
- Prior regulatory, law firm or in-house experience involving home lending, consumer finance/banking, and consumer debt collection.
- Working knowledge of FDCPA and related federal and state consumer debt collection laws.
- Experience in UDAP/UDAAP also helpful.