Facebook is seeking highly motivated counsel to work on Facebook’s legal privacy team and advise the company on a range of privacy, data protection and security-related legal and compliance initiatives for Facebook, Instagram, Facebook Reality Labs, WhatsApp, and infrastructure teams.
The role will work closely with product, engineering, policy, operations, and business teams, as well as other legal department subgroups, and will require application of a complex, evolving legal framework to new and innovative products and services and to core infrastructure initiatives.
Lead Counsel, Privacy Data Life Cycle Responsibilities
- Advise teams across the company on legal matters that implicate the way that Facebook handles user data throughout the life cycle
- Serve as subject matter expert to support business and other legal teams regarding global privacy laws and other obligations that implicate data life cycle management, including CCPA, GDPR, and LGPD
- Drive high-profile and high-impact projects involving privacy analysis and compliance with stakeholders across Facebook's business, policy, legal, communications, security, and other departments
- Work closely with privacy counsel, product counsel, and product teams to guide privacy-forward product development and evaluate the impact of privacy laws, regulatory guidance and enforcement actions
- J.D. degree (or foreign equivalent) and membership in at least one US state bar
- 5+ years of legal experience, including at a law firm and/or in-house experience
- Experience working with product or technology teams
- Business judgment and client counseling experience
- Experience with global privacy laws, regulations, and industry guidelines, especially including those relevant for social media, ad tech and Internet companies
- Experience advancing projects in a multi-stakeholder environment
- Experience with, understanding of, and enthusiasm towards innovative technologies, including those related to privacy and data security
- Product or Technology experience and the capability to understand product development concepts to aid with issue spotting