The National Multiple Sclerosis Society is a national non-profit that exists because there are people with MS. Our vision is a world free of MS. Everything we do is focused so that people affected by MS can live their best lives as we stop MS in its tracks, restore what has been lost and end MS forever.
We are more than an organization. We are a movement. United in our collective power to do something about MS now and end this disease forever. At the National MS Society you have the opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of those living with MS and their families.
As a member of the Society team, you'll work in an environment that values collaboration, innovation, diverse perspectives, and most of all a relentless resolve so people with MS can live their best lives.
The National MS Society ("Society") is hiring a Law Clerk for the Fall 2021 semester. The Law Clerk will be part of the Society's Legal and Risk Management Team, reporting to the Corporate Counsel while also working directly with the General Counsel, Director of Risk Management, and Paralegal, Estates and Trusts. The Law Clerk will work on a variety of projects, including conducting legal research, drafting legal documents, writing internal memos, preparing corporate policies and contract templates, and assisting various departments on different legal issues. The Law Clerk will attend meetings as appropriate to observe the role of in-house counsel and gain an understanding of how to provide legal advice and guidance to a large-scale organization. Throughout the course of the semester, the Law Clerk will work across departments and gain a better understanding for the inner workings of a national non-profit.
The ideal candidate will be a current 2L or 3L student, or a recent law school graduate, with strong academic credentials and the ability to start working right away through the end of 2021, and possibly longer not to exceed 150 total hours. This position will be fully remote and can be part time or full time, with a minimum of 10 hours per week. This position can be used for law school credit as part of an externship program, or the candidate may elect to be paid at $20 per hour.Requirements:
- Year in school:
Time Commitment:Minimum Experience/Skills
- 2L or 3L student, or recent law school graduate.
- Intermediate/advanced computer skills including internet searches, online databases, and Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to multi-task, communicate updates and challenges, and manage time effectively.
- Possesses curiosity and strong attention to detail.
- Independent, self-starter who operates autonomously while being a collaborative team player.
- High integrity, strong work ethic.
- Confidentiality: As a volunteer of the Society with access to information about or involved in, the qualification and cultivation of all existing and prospective members, donors, and patrons-- each volunteer shall demonstrate the utmost respect and integrity in conducting Society business. Volunteers are directly and individually responsible to support and further the individual donor or prospect's fundamental right to privacy, especially as it relates to personal and financial information. As a representative of the Society, you are required to conduct yourself in strict accordance with applicable laws and Society policies regarding confidential information. The intent of these laws and policies is to ensure that confidential information is used only as necessary to accomplish the organization's mission. This applies to all types of information, regardless of form, including but not limited to hard copy, electronic, or any other medium.
- Must have access to reliable internet and computer with the capability to video conference.
- Microsoft Suite (Specifically Excel)
- Internet Search Engines
This is a fully remote Law Clerk Internship for Fall 2021.