Imagine...working for a company that knows that its people are the key to its success in the marketplace. A company in which achieving extraordinary results and having a stimulating work experience are part of the same process.
We cultivate and embrace a diverse employee population. We recognize that people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives fuel our growth and enrich our global culture.
We are looking for an individual who enjoys working in a fast-paced, team oriented environment, likes to be challenged, and values the opportunity to make a difference.Labor and Employment CounselGeneral Summary:
The Labor and Employment Counsel will provide advice and advocacy on a broad range of labor and employment matters, including federal and state employment discrimination statutes; NLRA compliance, general union relations, and collective bargaining agreement negotiations; union avoidance strategies; the FLSA and state and federal wage and hour and wage payment laws; pay equity; inclusion and diversity; employee discipline and discharge; organizational restructurings and reductions-in-force; whistleblower and anti-retaliation laws; wrongful discharge claims; recruiting and hiring; performance management; employment agreements and policies; OFCCP and affirmative action compliance; and Human Resources best practices. In strong partnership with Human Resources, the successful candidate will help develop and implement workforce policies and procedures and will interact with business leaders and senior Legal Department management.
This position will also investigate, develop strategy regarding, and respond to charges of discrimination and other complaints and matters, both internally and before federal, state, and local administrative agencies, including EEO agencies, OSHA, NLRB, and departments of labor, as well as in mediations, arbitrations, and union grievance procedures. In employment litigation, they will be responsible for selecting and managing outside counsel and for developing and executing, in concert with business partners and outside counsel, case strategy, discovery, motion practice, pleadings and briefs, appeals, and public messaging of matter-related issues.
The position will be based at Campbell’s World Headquarters in Camden, New Jersey, and this individual will be a member of the Campbell Legal Department. The successful candidate must be able to work effectively with numerous clients in a fast-paced, cross-functional, team-oriented environment.Primary Responsibilities:
- Work closely with Human Resources and business teams on a variety of labor and employment issues, including counseling, investigations, disputes, and compliance with labor and employment laws.
- Conduct and/or oversee internal investigations.
- Investigate and prepare position statements in response to charges of discrimination before EEO administrative agencies and unfair labor practice charges before the NLRB.
- Support management and Human Resources with planning for and conducting collective bargaining negotiations and responding to union grievances and demands for arbitration.
- Draft, review, revise, and assist in the implementation of HR-related policies.
- Prepare and present training on labor and employment issues.
- Work closely with the in-house legal team and business partners to mitigate and manage legal risk and proactively seek to avoid issues.
- Stay apprised of best practices, trends, and developments in labor and employment law.
- Effectively manage outside counsel and related matter budgets.
- Support organization-wide legal projects and initiatives, as necessary.
- Provide counsel on other types of matters as needed.
- Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited law school.
- A member in good standing of any state bar. (If not already admitted with a plenary license in New Jersey, the successful candidate will need to obtain a New Jersey limited in-house license.)
- At least ten years of legal experience in the labor and employment field. Note that traditional labor experience is key. A combination of law firm and in-house labor and employment experience is a plus, as is experience in the consumer packaged goods industry.
- A strong background in providing practical, actionable advice, developing and implementing strategy, and advocating in court and before administrative agencies or other adjudicative bodies in employment and traditional labor matters.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Must be creative, exercise good judgment, and be a quick decision maker and self-starter.
- Demonstrated team player with strong interpersonal and organizational skills, with an attention to detail.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple projects and matters simultaneously.
- Ability to interact effectively and efficiently with business partners on a daily basis and operate with limited supervision.
The Company is committed to providing equal opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the employment relationship, without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
In that regard, U.S. applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law.