At K&L Gates, we are looking for smart, imaginative and hard-working people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and ideas to join us. Perhaps our search for talented visionaries and your search for important and impactful work lead to the same place.
The global law firm of K&L Gates seeks an associate with 1-3 years of regulatory and/or policy experience to join its nationally recognized Public Policy and Law practice in its Washington, D.C. office. The successful candidate will join the firm as a regulatory / policy associate and will work on a broad portfolio of regulatory, legislative and enforcement matters. Issue areas include postal/logistics and financial services.
The successful candidate is an intellectually curious person who has the ability to distill and communicate about complex issues, thrives in a high-paced environment, and will have as many of these attributes as possible:
- Direct legal experience in the area, specifically through private practice.
- Significant experience working in a regulated industry; experience and/or interest in capital markets, financial services and/or postal policy a plus.
- A joint degree (JD/MPP or JD/MBA) is preferred but not required.
- Undergraduate degree in Economics and/or Political Science is preferred but not required.
- Experience with the policymaking process and/or on the Hill is helpful, though interest in public policy is essential.
- Strong research, analytical, evaluative, and constructive thinking skills, particularly the ability to distill complex issues.
- Excellent communications skills both oral and written, including in an advocacy context.
- Intense focus on project management and coordination skills, with ability to organize, prioritize, and handle multiple projects on tight timeframes while being thorough and detail-oriented.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with others in the firm, including the ability to manage up and down.
- Has initiative by being proactive, forward-leaning, and highly responsive;
- Strong orientation toward creating solutions that demonstrate great listening, judgment, resourcefulness, and timeliness.
- Strong commitment to delivering exceptional client service.
The K&L Gates Public Policy and Law group operates at the intersection of public policy, law, and business. Founded over four decades ago, the policy group has grown from a single lobbyist to become the largest of any fully integrated global law firm, with a number of publications ranking the group as one of the premier policy practices in the nation. The team includes 50 lawyers and policy professionals with over 500 years of combined experience in federal and state government.
Candidates must be self-starters who possess the ability to work independently and as part of a team. We require strong academic credentials, excellent communication skills, and a commitment to providing the highest quality client service. Candidates will work closely with experienced lawyers who will provide active mentoring and opportunities to assume increasing levels of responsibility and client contact.