An American Camera and Social Media Company is a camera company. We believe that reinventing the camera represents our greatest opportunity to improve the way people live and communicate. Our products empower people to express themselves, live in the moment, learn about the world, and have fun together.
The Legal & Policy Team is Snap’s dedicated in-house law firm, policy consultant, lobbyist, thought partner, and all-around advisor. This team helps Snap do the right thing the right way, make better decisions, understand and manage risks, and creatively navigate challenges, both external and internal. We partner with Snap team members on a wide array of matters, including privacy, product, IP, commercial transactions, corporate governance, employment, acquisitions, litigation, and policy, and social impact. The Legal & Policy team values diversity and knows it powers us as we build an innovative and inclusive leadership culture centered on Snap's values of Kind, Smart, and Creative.
We’re looking for a junior Privacy Counsel to join Team Snapchat! Working from our Los Angeles, CA headquarters, you’ll work on a small Privacy team responsible for managing the Snap privacy program globally. This job allows you to collaborate with members of Product and other legal teams, Engineering, Design, and other teams throughout the company to support Snap’s strong privacy practices, including its world-class privacy-by-design program.
What You’ll Do:
- Assist with Snap’s global data compliance projects, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation, state and federal consumer protection laws, TCPA, and HIPAA
- Support our legal and business teams with ad hoc privacy questions]
- Work closely with Product Counsel on complex privacy issues as they emerge in the development of new products and technologies
- Help develop and improve over time Snap’s privacy-by-design requirements
- Develop subject matter and regional privacy quick guides
- Conduct privacy due diligence reviews, privacy impact assessments, and integration plans for potential acquisitions and partnerships
- Help draft public-facing descriptions of new products and technologies
- Analyze new or pending legislation impact on the business and any potential necessary modifications to practices
- Conduct periodic privacy trainings across the company
Knowledge, skills, & abilities:
- Excellent legal and business judgment and strategic thinking
- Detail-oriented, business-friendly, and a team player, with an ability to think creatively and accommodate tight deadlines
- Strong work ethic and able to work independently and collaboratively
- JD degree
- Active membership in at least one state bar
- 0-2 years of experience practicing law
- Knowledge of global privacy laws, regulations, and industry guidelines, especially those relevant for ecommerce, ad tech, and Internet companies
- In-house paralegal experience or law firm experience in the field of privacy
- IAPP membership and certification