Sorry! This position is no longer available!
Expand your court experience or begin your legal career as a Judicial Law Clerk/Law Clerk I in the Second Judicial District! A Judicial Law Clerk position offers the opportunity to work within the Minnesota Judicial Branch at the Trial Court level, and gain insight into judicial and court processes, with a court perspective on the administration of justice.
The Second Judicial District is accepting applications for a Judicial Law Clerk/Law Clerk I for the Honorable David Brown, who is chambered at the Ramsey County Courthouse in downtown Saint Paul. The law clerk performs administrative, courtroom, and legal research/writing functions under the direct supervision of a district court judge.
Anticipated start date for this position is August 2021.Example of Duties
- Assists in the day-to-day management of the Judge's office, maintains the Judge's daily schedule, and responds to inquiries.
- Conducts legal research and prepares written reports, memoranda, orders, judgments, and decrees.
- Prepares various documents related to judicial duties; attends all court sessions and performs court-related duties such as recording necessary case information and maintaining records attendant to court proceedings.
- Ensures that all files, complaints, and other papers are available when needed and in proper order.
- Performs duties associated with the selection and management of the jury during jury trials; performs courtroom duties including calling calendars, administering oaths, and swearing in jury panels and witnesses.
- Assists in various court proceedings such as motions, pretrial, and trial; performs other administrative and clerical functions as required.
- Completion of one or more years of law school or graduation from law school and/or licensed to practice law in Minnesota.
- Excellent legal research and writing abilities.
- Good computer skills, including knowledge of Westlaw and Microsoft Word or other word processing programs.
- Ability to organize and manage own work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to handle a wide variety of tasks simultaneously.
- Strong sense of professionalism.
- Ability to deal professionally and courteously with court personnel, attorneys, the public, and media.
Successful candidate will be required to pass a criminal background check.Supplemental Information
Starting salary for a law school student is $20.41 hourly. Starting salary for a law school graduate is $26.97 hourly.
Closing Date: 10th December, 2020