Expand your court experience or begin your legal career as a Judicial Law Clerk for the Second Judicial District! A Judicial Law Clerk position offers the opportunity to work within the Minnesota Judicial Branch at the Trial Court level, and gain insight into judicial and court processes, with a court perspective on the administration of justice.
The Second Judicial District is accepting applications for a Judicial Law Clerk for the Honorable JaPaul Harris, who is chambered at the Ramsey County Courthouse. The law clerk performs administrative, courtroom, and legal research/writing functions under the direct supervision of a district court judge.Example of Duties
- Assists in the day-to-day management of the Judge's office, maintains the Judge's daily schedule, and responds to inquiries.
- Conducts legal research and prepares written reports, memoranda, orders, judgments, and decrees.
- Prepares various documents related to judicial duties; attends all court sessions and performs court-related duties such as recording necessary case information and maintaining records attendant to court proceedings.
- Ensures that all files, complaints, and other papers are available when needed and in proper order.
- Performs duties associated with the selection and management of the jury during jury trials; performs courtroom duties including calling calendars, administering oaths, and swearing in jury panels and witnesses.
- Assists in various court proceedings such as motions, pretrial, and trial; performs other administrative and clerical functions as required.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school and/or license to practice law in Minnesota.
- Excellent legal research and writing abilities.
- Good computer skills, including knowledge of Westlaw and Microsoft Word or other word processing programs.
- Ability to organize and manage own work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to handle a wide variety of tasks simultaneously.
- Strong sense of professionalism.
- Ability to deal professionally and courteously with court personnel, attorneys, the public, and media.
Successful candidate will be required to pass a criminal background check.Supplemental Information
Apply online at http://www.mncourts.gov/careers. In addition to completing the online application, please upload and attach a one-page cover letter, resume, law school transcript, and writing sample (no more than ten pages).
Employment offers may be rescinded if the required criminal background check identifies job-related convictions.
The Minnesota Judicial Branch (MJB) is committed to providing fair and equal access to justice. If you share this same commitment, desire a meaningful career serving the public, and want the opportunity to make a difference for your community, consider a career with us. We celebrate and are committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, and actively seek and encourage applications from persons with diverse backgrounds and characteristics. Minnesota Judicial Branch employees consistently express pride in their public service and in the quality of programs and services provided to customers, as well as appreciation for the teamwork and collaboration that is promoted within the MJB. To learn more about working for the Minnesota Judicial Branch, watch this video.
It is the policy of the Minnesota Judicial Branch that all decisions regarding employment are made without discrimination on the basis of disability. Please let us know if you need a reasonable accommodation for a disability to participate in the employee selection process by contacting 2ndDistrictHR@courts.state.mn.us.
The Minnesota Judicial Branch is an equal opportunity employer.
It is the policy of the Minnesota Judicial Branch that all decisions regarding recruitment, hiring, promotions and other terms and conditions of employment be made without discrimination on the grounds of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, sexual orientation, or age. We value and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds.