McCarthy Building Companies, Inc. is the oldest privately held national construction company in the country. We provide general contracting, construction management, design-build and self-perform service nationwide. The firm has full-service offices in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Las Vegas, St. Louis, San Diego, Newport Beach, San Francisco and Sacramento and has built in nearly every state with projects ranging in size from $1 million to $1 billion.
The Legal Intern position will work as a team member in a dynamic Legal Department that is highly integrated within the organization. The person in this role will assist the attorneys for the western half of the United States with legal issues encountered by a major general contractor working in numerous markets and industries. The Legal Intern’s position is an opportunity to gain exposure and experience working in an in-house corporate legal department. This position is part time for approximately 10-20 hours a week.
- Conduct research and provide legal analysis on various legal issues that currently impact the company and construction industry such as anticipated and new legislation and caselaw in multiple states.
- Assist with gathering documents, data and other information in connection with ongoing discovery litigation matters, subpoenas, and investigations.
- Draft correspondence related to various legal matters such as bond claims and subcontractor defaults.
- Perform a variety of legal tasks through assisting multiple in-house attorneys with litigation and claim management, labor relations, contract negotiations, employment and a variety of other legal matters.
- Exposure to a variety of areas of the law such as construction, surety, insurance, public contracts, employment, and regulatory.
- Currently enrolled in an ABA accredited JD program as a 2L or 3L.
- Ability to think critically and problem-solve.
- Team player and ability to work with a wide variety of people.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Organizational and time-management skills.
McCarthy is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer regardless of race, color, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious beliefs, marital status, genetic information, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.