An internship is a temporary position within 3M. Interns typically work a full-time schedule throughout a 10–12-week assignment. This position is limited to working 899 hours per service credit year. 3M provides eligible interns with temporary housing and round-trip travel reimbursement in accordance with current policy.
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
Applications on this requisition are reviewed and filled on a rolling basis; it is in a candidate’s best interest to apply as soon as possible. Interested candidates should include a resume as part of their application. The Impact You’ll Make in this Role
3M is seeking an IP Law Clerk part-time Intern for the 3M 3M’s Office of Intellectual Property (IP) Counsel Group located in Maplewood, Minnesota.
As an intern you can grow through challenging work, get involved in meaningful projects and receive great coaching from our leaders. Here, you will make an impact by:
- Assisting with patent preparation and global patent prosecution
- Teaming with 3M attorneys to negotiate contracts representing 3M interests with third parties
- Performing legal and factual research
- Interacting with business clients, outside counsel, and international colleague
- Performing litigation-related activities as needed
- Performing other duties as assigned
Your specific assignment will depend on your interests and experience and 3M’s legal needs.Training:
Law clerks are exposed to a variety of substantive legal work, technology areas, and people during their time at 3M. Employment at 3M begins with comprehensive training on the tools and systems we use to do our legal work at 3M followed by action oriented, on the job training. Clerks are assigned primary and secondary coaches and partnered with a buddy in the office. Coaches assist clerks with learning the skills necessary to conduct substantive legal projects, obtain work in various technology areas from various people, and provide job shadowing opportunities. Buddies are like mentors, providing guidance on other questions from clerks.Your Skills and Expertise
To set you up for success in this role from day one, 3M is looking for candidates who must have the following qualifications: Currently pursuing a Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited university
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree or higher in a science or engineering discipline (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited institution
- Minimum of one (1) year of law school completed
Additional qualifications that could help you succeed even further in this role include: Registered to Practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Strong academic credentials, such as top 25% of law school class