VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable our more than 350,000 enterprise and SMB customers to thrive in the Cloud Era. A pioneer in virtualization and automation technologies, VMware simplifies IT complexity across the entire data center to the virtual workplace, empowering customers with solutions in the software-defined data center to hybrid cloud computing and the mobile workspace. Our team of 32,000+ people working in 50+ locations worldwide is committed to building a community where great people want to work long term by living our values of passion, innovation, execution, teamwork, active learning and giving back. If you are ready to accelerate, innovate and lead, join us as we challenge constraints and problem solve for tomorrow today.
Job Role and Responsibility:
We are looking for a talented patent prosecutor to fill a role that offers a rare opportunity to take primary responsibility for a variety of IP matters, with challenging and interesting technology, in a determined, but fun, working environment, along with other highly motivated, top-performing professionals, at a strong, dynamic, growing company that continues to revolutionize and disrupt the computer industry. In this role, you will assume primary responsibility for building and managing VMware’s patent portfolio within assigned technology areas in VMware’s product portfolio, from working with engineers and managers to identify inventions, to jointly deciding whether and where to file patent applications, to filing and prosecuting U.S. and foreign patent applications, including managing outside counsel and drafting or reviewing all substantive filings. You will also have opportunities for other responsibilities in a broad range of IP matters, including evaluating IP aspects of potential acquisitions and divestitures; supporting offensive and defensive IP matters involving third parties; supporting negotiation and drafting of IP ownership and licensing agreements; and evaluating patent risks relating to inbound and outbound open-source software, along with standards-body activities.
In this role, you will work independently in your technology areas of VMware’s growing patent portfolio, and collectively within the IP team, across the broader Legal team and in collaboration with VMware’s engineering teams and Business Units.
- You demonstrate excellent legal knowledge and judgment, along with excellent technical knowledge and skills
- You have extensive experience generating high-quality patent prosecution work product
- You hold a JD from an accredited U.S. law school and are a member in good standing of a U.S. State bar
- You are registered to practice before the USPTO
- You have at least 8 years legal experience
Our team looks for individuals who: work well in a team environment and independently; work effectively in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to multi-task and manage a large volume of concurrent priorities; work to resolve legal issues instead of merely obstructing business objectives; and are extremely organized, with keen attention to detail. Additionally, we would like:
- You to hold at least a BSEE, BSCE, or BSCS degree
- You to have technical knowledge related to computer hardware and software, preferably including the hardware-software interface and complex operating system-level software, and/or datacenter management technology
- You to have experience managing outside patent prosecution counsel
- You to have experience as a Patent Examiner
This job opportunity is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsorship by VMware.