We are looking for an In-House Legal Counsel (“Counsel”) to oversee certain of the Academy’s day-to-day legal matters from its headquarters in Santa Monica, California. The Counsel will report directly to the Academy’s Chief Executive Officer. As the organization prepares itself for future growth and transformation, this individual will be a key strategic advisor to the Academy’s Board of Trustees, senior Recording Academy staff, the senior leadership of its affiliates, and other areas within the Recording Academy. This individual will ensure that the Academy’s legal policies and practices are best in class.
Of paramount importance, this individual must have sound, practical business and legal judgment, and must be a team player, committed to the highest level of honesty, fidelity and integrity.What You'll Do
:The Academy’s legal affairs needs are wide-ranging and, depending upon the successful candidate’s background and experience, the Counsel’s role may include (but will not necessarily be limited to) the following:
Skills & Experience
- Overseeing all aspects of the Recording Academy’s legal affairs department, including ensuring that the day-to-day commercial contracts are properly drafted and tailored to address the specific needs of the Recording Academy and to ensure protection of the Academy’s business and legal issues.
- Protecting the GRAMMY brand by understanding trademark and copyright law and the means by which such rights are protected, and facilitating the Academy’s interaction with outside intellectual property counsel, when necessary to protect and enforce the Academy’s intellectual property rights.
- Becoming fully familiar with all aspects of the Recording Academy’s business, and to identify areas where changes in policies and practices may be needed to ensure the protection of the Recording Academy and the cost-effective and efficient provision of legal affairs services.
- Engaging with, supporting, and facilitating the Academy’s engagement with outside litigation, employment, transactional and governance counsel, by acting as a liaison between the Academy’s business units and outside counsel who provide legal services to the Academy.
- Working with the various committees of the Board of Trustees to identify and address legal issues, and to among other things, ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory obligations consistent with the highest ethical standards.
- Developing strong business relationships with internal and external stakeholders, and have the ability to explain complex legal issues to non-lawyers and to communicate practical legal advice.
- Issue spotting, and either negotiating and documenting resolutions of potential disputes, or working with outside counsel to resolve such disputes.
- Playing an active role in the development of the Recording Academy’s legislative and regulatory advocacy positions, and interacting with outside entities that have an interest in those positions.
- Being informed about developments in the law in areas that relate to the Academy’s business operations. These areas include contract law, employment law, privacy and data protection, intellectual property, advocacy and not-for-profit governance.
Salary & Benefits
- Juris Doctor degree from accredited law school and a California license to practice law or ability to become licensed in California.
- 8+ years practice with an established law firm or corporate legal/business affairs department. Music, entertainment, or production background preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including an established track record of superior legal draftsmanship and negotiation, and the demonstrated ability to conclude matters efficiently and beneficially for the client.
- Must be a forward-thinking individual, with sound, practical, and business-minded judgment, including the ability to “think outside of the box,” come up with intelligent solutions to problems, and assess and explain the business and legal impact of alternative options.
Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and 401k Savings Plan. A hybrid work schedule (combination of in-office and work from home).Physical Demands for Certain Roles
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and sit for long periods of time, and work at a computer for long periods of time. The employee may be required to travel.