Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing direct legal, social and language access services, education, and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Since 1973, Ayuda has provided critical services on a wide range of issues, in the process acquiring nationally recognized expertise in several fields including immigration law, language access, domestic violence and human trafficking. Ayuda has office locations in Washington, DC, Silver Spring, MD and Falls Church, VA.
Why You Want This Job?
Because, just like everyone at Ayuda, you believe:
- In seeing communities where all immigrants succeed and thrive in the United States.
- In the overall success of our organization and all our programs.
- That families should be healthy and safe from harm.
- That all people should have access to professional, honest, and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country.
- That diversity and equality make this country better.
What Will This Job Entail?
- This position is based in our Washington, DC office and will require travel to local state and immigration courts.
- As Staff Attorney you will represent low-income immigrants, including victims of crime and children.
- Conduct intakes and represent victims of crime in immigration matters, including SIJS, asylum, VAWA petitions, U and T Visa applications, DACA and removal proceedings;
- Represent clients in immigration matter before USCIS, ICE, DOS and EOIR, as well as DC and Maryland Circuit Courts to obtain SIJS predicate orders;
- Provide victim witness orientation and accompaniment when appropriate;
- Represent Ayuda at local coalition meetings and participate in local and national advocacy initiatives;
- Stay current on relevant laws and policies by attending trainings and conferences and reviewing new laws and regulations;
- Train area service providers and government agencies, including law enforcement;
- Conduct outreach presentations to potential clients;
- Collaborate with Ayuda’s Social Services staff to ensure provision of holistic services;
- Assist with recruitment, training, and supervision of legal interns, volunteers, paralegals and legal assistants;
- Contribute to Ayuda’s pro bono program through mentoring at clinics and mentoring pro bono pipeline cases as appropriate based upon experience.
- Assist with preparation of grant applications and reports; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
How Do You Know If You Can Do This Job?
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Eligibility: Must be legally able to work in the United States and maintain proper work authorization throughout employment. Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position presented in a general office environment.
- J.D. or LL.M. from accredited law school;
- Eligible to sit for the D.C., Maryland, or Virginia bar exam (to be considered for Law Clerk), or
- In good standing with the bar of DC, Maryland, or Virginia; preference given to Maryland bar members able to waive into DC bar (to be considered for Staff Attorney)
- 0-1 year of post-J.D. immigration-related experience; prior experience, including internships or volunteer work, in immigration or working with immigrant or low-income communities, especially with victims of crime, will be weighed favorably.
Fluency in written and spoken English and another language required (Spanish preferred)
Proficient in Microsoft Office and able to devote interest and attention to learning other new software programs and web-based applications, including Ayuda’s electronic case-management system LegalServer.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and knowledge of issues involved in working with diverse populations
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, must be comfortable presenting
- Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse multidisciplinary team, including in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work in collaboration with colleagues, external partners, and client communities.
- Strong work ethic, discrete, resourceful, and able to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent time management and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to meet assigned deadlines
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Excellent customer service skills
- Proven problem-solving skills with ability to analyze situations, identify existing or potential problems, and recommend solutions
- Decisive, with ability to exercise independent judgment
- Ability to understand legal ethical obligations and understand when and how to seek appropriate supervision.
Salary And Benefits:
The salary is commensurate with experience and in line with Ayuda’s salary scale for legal non-attorney positions; Law Clerk positions at Ayuda start at $52,000. This is a full-time position which comes with a robust benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, long-term disability insurance, life and AD&D insurance as well as an employer-provided retirement match. All federal holidays are observed, and Ayuda offers paid leave for the week of Christmas through New Year’s Day. This position is exempt for overtime purposes.