Legal Aid of Sonoma County (LASC) has been providing legal services to low-income Sonoma County residents since 1958. Our mission is to promote social justice and advance human rights. Our primary services include Disaster Relief, Domestic Violence, Elder Law, Housing, and Veterans’ Benefits. LASC collaborates with a network of community partners including immigrant service centers, homeless service providers, local government, and senior centers.Summary
: The Housing/Disaster Law Supervising Attorney (HD Supervising Attorney) provides supervision, training and mentoring to legal staff and volunteers and engages with the community, local agencies, the judiciary, and the private bar on behalf of LASC. The HD attorney will principally supervise our housing and disaster teams, consisting of 7 attorneys and 4 caseworkers. Additionally, the HD attorney will help supervise intake staff and interns in conjunction with the rest of LASC’s management team.
LASC provides full scope legal services, including representation in court and at administrative hearings. The housing team helps clients with eviction, habitability, section 8, homeless advocacy, and other housing related issues. Our disaster law team, implemented after the Sonoma complex fires, helps both fire and Covid-19 affected individuals. Services include insurance and contractor issues, employment issues and policy work. These teams collaborate with many community partners, including homeless service providers, veterans’ service providers, and the County of Sonoma.
The HD attorney will collaborate with the Domestic Violence/Elder Law Supervising Attorney to ensure that office wide policies and procedures are consistently developed and implemented. The HD attorney will also be responsible for ensuring accurate and timely collection of data in compliance with grants and contracts.Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee legal intake and case assessment process. Mange daily case flow by assigning cases to legal staff and volunteers/interns, in conjunction with intake manager.
- Provide legal supervision and training to staff and volunteers/interns.
- Train law students and volunteer attorneys.
- Coordinate regular office case reviews and conduct regular meetings with legal teams.
- Conduct personnel reviews and assist with human resource matters as needed.
- Collect and maintain statistical records on services provided, as required by funders. Ensure compliance with funding requirements.
- Assist in preparation of program reports for funders.
- Promote the goals and mission of Legal Aid through participation on local non-profit and government committees.
- Provide liaison services with the legal community, judiciary, law enforcement, and court systems in Sonoma County.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Demonstrated commitment to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Licensed to practice Law in the state of California.
- At least four (4) years substantial legal representation experience.
- Previous supervisory experience, including knowledge of personnel management, conflict resolution, and legal casework supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work with all persons regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, economic background, immigration status, gender identification, or sexual orientation.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to work both independently and as a leader of a diverse team.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work effectively with great attention to detail, including timely case review and capturing of data for reports to funders.A firm commitment to accurate and timely data collection and time reporting is required.
- Working knowledge of computer applications including Microsoft Office, legal forms software programs, and database programs.
- Knowledge of landlord/tenant law and contract law preferred.
- Prior experience in representing low-income or under-served communities strongly preferred.
- Experience working with special needs populations including the elderly and disabled.
: Legal Aid of Sonoma County provides a dynamic and supportive work environment and an excellent benefit package. Benefits include company paid health, dental and vision insurance, and very generous paid vacation/sick/holiday leave policies.Salary
: $90,000 - $105,000 per year DOE