Cloud9 Esports is the premier esports organization in the world. Fielding twelve professional teams in eleven different games, Cloud9’s reach is unparalleled – generating more viewer hours than cable networks like CNN or ESPN. In 2017 Nielson recognized Cloud9 as the most recognized esports brand in the US and UK. Cloud9 is one of two organizations globally to own franchises in both the League of Legends LCS and the Overwatch League. Cloud9’s investors include Founders Fund, Valor, WWE, Reddit founder Alexis Ohanian, David Sacks and NFL legend Joe Montana.Location:
Accepting remote work from the following states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.Summary:
Cloud9 is looking for its first in-house General Counsel. You will have the important role of building the department and assist with a wide range of matters including corporate development, commercial contracts, due diligence for mergers & acquisitions, risk management, routine NDAs, and employment law.
This is a mission-critical role and to be successful, you must be an effective listener, communicator, and strategic partner. This is a great opportunity for someone that enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and working to scale the organization. This role is for a hands-on person that can be both strategic and tactical.Responsibilities:
- Provide expert and strategic legal advice to the executive and management team.
- Give accurate and timely counsel to executives in a variety of legal topics (player and league contracts, partnerships, employment matters, corporate finance, etc.)
- Corporate development with a focus on equity investment and mergers and acquisitions.
- Provide advice on various legal risks, business strategies, and other issues related to commercial transactions and business operations.
- Review commercial contracts, draft contracts, and negotiate contracts.
- Draft and solidify agreements, contracts, and other legal documents to ensure the company's full legal rights while minimizing risk.
- Manage and resolve legal issues that arise in commercial relationships.
- Draft, analyze, and review agreements with sponsors, talent (players/employees), vendors, and others as needed.
- Keep up to date with the industry, market, and business objectives to provide business-oriented legal advice.
- Provide litigation support as needed.
- Set internal governance policies and manage the impact of external factors.
- Evaluate and weigh multiple inputs and impacts of any decision or course of action and anticipate issues to estimate risks.
- Base your decision-making process on ethics and integrity.
- Develop legal strategies and meet legal objectives.
- Keep abreast of legislative changes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- J.D. degree and licensed to practice law in state of residence or California (current membership in the applicable State Bar).
- Proven general counseling experience in a corporate environment.
- At least 5 years of legal experience working preferably in video games, esports, traditional sports, and/or talent agency industry.
- Overall broad legal knowledge (corporate law, contracts, litigations, etc.).
- Well-versed in how businesses operate with strong financial acumen.
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity, and gravitas.
- Excellent analytical skills, attention to detail, sound judgement, and negotiations skills.