Are you interested in shaping the future of digital behavioral health? We are looking for a skilled part-time Legal Counsel to support our fast-growing, privately-funded, pre-IPO company and help us tackle a broad range of legal matters.
Digital medicine is a relatively new healthcare and business paradigm. Our team brings together experts in the fields of AI, technology, and clinical drug development and commercialization. This new configuration of skills and experiences has led to exciting opportunities and has also generated unique and interesting challenges. We need a savvy, experienced legal expert to help us tackle those challenges and improve the lives of our patients and their parents.
This is a part-time role requiring approximately 15-20 hours/week (estimate is subject to change) with little to no required travel. Your relationship to the company can be that of either a consultant or an employee, depending on your availability and current circumstances. You may live and work remotely from any location that is no more than +/- 3 time zones from the US west coast. The position will report to the CFO.
Cognoa is planning to submit an application for regulatory approval of its first product in the latter half of 2020 and to gain approval for and launch that product in mid-2021. A significant Series B private capital raise is underway now and is expected to close in January 2021.
Cognoa is a leading digital behavioral health company developing diagnostic and therapeutic solutions for children living with autism and other behavioral health conditions. For more information, please visit https://www.cognoa.com/.Responsibilities:
- Provide practical legal advice and support to senior management with respect to corporate governance, contracts, intellectual property, compliance, privacy/data protection, employment law, financing activities, and other matters
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide variety of contracts including but not limited to: confidentiality agreements, consulting agreements, employment agreements, master service agreements, clinical trial agreements, software license agreements, safety data exchange agreements, vendor agreements and technology licensing agreements.
- Work closely across internal teams (artificial intelligence, product & engineering, marketing, sales, finance) to provide balanced legal guidance, develop processes and manage legal/compliance risks
- 5 years of law firm and/or in-house legal department experience, preferably in a medical device/biotechnology/life sciences industry support role.
- Active membership and good standing with at least one U.S. state bar (preferably California)
- Extensive experience in drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a wide variety of life sciences-related contracts. Experience with AI/software/technology-related contracts is a strong plus.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of healthcare regulations, including but not limited to HIPAA, the Stark law, and anti-kickback regulations.
- Strong organizational and time management skills that will enable productive work on multiple projects in parallel.
- High level of emotional intelligence; ability to remain focused and productive during extended periods of remote work
- Exhibits humble confidence as a legal expert in a community of professionals; works collaboratively with all levels of the organization; rolls up sleeves to get the work done
- Highly analytical with strong attention to detail
- Excellent problem-solving and people skill.
Cognoa is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.