Who We Are:
Community Solutions is a team of social problem solvers working to end homelessness and the conditions that create it. We are looking for an exceptional individual or legal firm to serve as our General Counsel. The role is part time.
The Person Weâ€™re Seeking:
We seek an experienced individual or legal firm to serve as our General Counsel as we scale our impact to change the course of homelessness. Community Solutions powers a growing movement to end homelessness at a population level through an agile, data-driven methodology centered in continuous quality improvement. We work throughout the United States and in a growing number of international settings to create a â€śnew normalâ€ť where homelessness is understood and responded to by leaders as a solvable problem requiring accountability, coordination and continuous, data-driven improvement. Working with 90+ communities that are part of this voluntary effort, we aim to reach and sustain a â€śfunctional zeroâ€ť end state in diverse cities and regions where homelessness is rare and resolved quickly and effectively when it does occur. We are team of 60+ working from multiple bases throughout the country, including six offices. Our current annual budget of $10.8 million is supported by a mix of foundation, corporate, and individual contributions and earned revenue.
To accomplish this, Community Solutions engages, trains and coaches local teams in creating a results-based housing system across their community through our â€śBuilt for Zeroâ€ť initiative and through our social impact real estate team that supports these communities in closing housing supply gaps through a range of innovative financing, development and occupancy management strategies. 13 of the communities in our network have now ended chronic or veteran homelessness, and many more are within sight of that goal.
As the close partner to the CEO, COO and CFO, the General Counsel will enable Community Solutions to bring the most effective, efficient and high performing team, tools and practices to the work of supporting communities and assure that we are poised for continued impact at an ever larger scale. This is an exceptional opportunity for a creative and accomplished individual or firm to impact work that is revolutionizing its field.
A successful candidate will be a proven, solution-oriented leader with experience in advising growing organizations around and through challenges mitigating risks and enabling organizations to achieve bold results. This role requires a mission-focus, alignment with Community Solutionsâ€™ values and culture, strong, clear communication skills, and relationship management with Community Solutionsâ€™ Board, CEO, COO and CFO.
Community Solutions will achieve its five year goals toward its long term vision of ending homelessness through the superior execution of its strategy by all team members:
- Homelessness will be understood and responded to as a solvable problem;
- The numbers of those experiencing homelessness will have steadily and lastingly declined
- Community Solutions will be financially sound and operating at scale.
- Our internal systems are supporting an inclusive, equitable, and productive workplace experience for an exceptionally high performing and diverse staff
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage organization's legal matters, including identifying areas of risk, recommending mitigation action and assuring compliance with relevant laws and policies, as well as managing any legal matters that may come before the organization
- Develop, coordinate and support relationships with outside legal counsel(s), including firms providing pro bono support and firms engaged in organizationâ€™s real estate activities
- Oversee the development of appropriate data privacy protocols and their implementation
- Provide counsel to CEO, COO, CFO and Board of Directors on internal and external matters of potential significance to organizationâ€™s mission, operations, personnel, and funding
- Ensure proper and complete registration of corporate entities for conduct of business, tax, charitable registration and other business purposes with all relevant state and municipal agencies as well as the federal government.
- Model an inclusive workplace culture that encourages staff to bring their whole selves to work every day.
- Support President and Chief Operating Officer in providing guidance and review of human resource management for (currently) 60 +employees working from 20+ locations, including but not limited to setting and enforcing policies, hiring and termination, achieving hiring diversity goals, managing performance, setting compensation, working with employees to resolve issues as they arise and complying with all applicable federal, state and local employment law.
- Assure maintenance of all corporate records
- Record of successful achievement in managing legal, operational and human capital aspects of fast growing, innovative organization
- 10+ years experience, with 3+ in General Counsel role
- Strong alignment with Community Solutionsâ€™ values and vision
- Knowledge of and record of driving results using continuous quality improvement
- Superior analytical, project and risk management skills, including being detail-oriented and managing toward aggressive deadlines
- Evidence of "scrappy startup execution" and a "get it done" attitude when time is short and stakes are high
- Degree from accredited law school
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and written) that inspires and motivates others.
- Google Suite
- Tableau/Tableau Server
- Amazon Web Services
- Microsoft Excel
Candidates should be prepared to propose rates for consideration.
This position is located in the New York City area.