Summary: Seeking to hire a motivated 2L or 3L (recent grads awaiting bar results included) as a virtual, freelance law clerk to assist part-time with various employment and labor matters ranging from litigation to outside corporate counsel and human resources consulting services for various companies. It is not necessary that you be interested in employment and labor law as long as you are open to the work and embrace the opportunity to gain practical skills that will be beneficial to all practice areas.
Ideal candidate will be feedback driven and have a strong desire for 1:1 mentorship. Personality and fit matters just as much (if not more) than mere qualifications. Looking for a sponge-type learner who will ask lots of questions, soak up opportunities for professional development and ultimately be excited for the entire experience. The best fit is someone who wants more than supplemental income and resume builders. If you are someone who fits this description, please apply.
Most of the work will be performed remotely through use of cloud-based programs and tools so access to both a computer and Wi-Fi is required. Work can be performed outside of normal business hours most of the time if desired. However, Clerk will need to occasional make time during regular business hours for check-in and planning calls with attorney and to the extent desired to take advantage of mentorship/experience opportunities to participate with attorney in actual practice needs (i.e. client counseling sessions, Zoom conferences/depositions/court appearances and collaborative strategy sessions with co-counsel and stakeholders).
- Performs legal research utilizing both written and electronic sources.
- Prepares draft memos, pleadings and other written work product.
- Gathers, compiles, summarizes and/or analyzes facts and relevant case information.
- Conducts document review and analysis for purposes of case strategy and evaluation of claims and defenses
- Drafts letters and other internal communications.
- Assists with preparing administrative charges and complaints, position statements and rebuttals and arguments.
- Develop general counsel services for corporate clients and establish employment and labor compliance programs and resources for employers to use in day to day operations.
- Participate in employment trainings, investigations, HR/employee relations consulting, strategic business planning and other transactional services for institutional corporate clients.
- Assist with employment and labor litigation in Superior and District Court and administrative proceedings at EEOC, DOL, Industrial Commission, NLRA, etc.
- Assists with review and drafting of employment policies, procedures and contracts.
- Creates online content and blog articles on various employment and labor issues
- Perform other duties that are required by the position.
- Eager self-starter who will seek out work independently and accept new challenges
- Responsive, proactive and reliable
- Personable, friendly, upbeat
- Efficient time manager able to manage multiple tasks with minimal supervision
- Excellent writer and researcher
- Able to work a minimum of 10 hours per week on most weeks over course of semester
- Current JD or LLM student who has completed at least one year of law school, recent law school graduate awaiting bar results or in the middle of associate job search OR licensed attorney looking for interim contract work.
- Must have access to a computer, Wi-Fi and a telephone or online videoconferencing.
- Must be able to start this month in some capacity but specific dates and times are flexible overall.
Job Details and Benefits:
- This position is paid on a prorated hourly basis at a starting rate of $18.00 per hour. As an independent contractor, all wages will be paid on a 1099 basis (no taxes withheld from checks and person hired will be responsible for any tax liability they incur)
- Hours and schedule will be flexible and Clerk will be permitted to choose their commitment each week and will be given the choice of work tasks on most occasions to ensure assignments are enjoyable, challenging and yield new opportunities to learn and participate in actual legal practice experiences.
- Attorney will strive to align work assignments and mentorship opportunities with the professional goals and desired learning experiences most important to the Clerk hired.
- Attorney will proactively find opportunities to give Clerk real practice experience including client consultations and strategy conferences, creative control over certain projects or matter objectiveness, opportunities for speaking roles and, where permitted by Arizona law, engage in supervised practice opportunities that allow for maximum exposure to practical skills.
Start and End Date
The earlier you can start the better. Priority will be given to those who apply quickly and have availability to start some work this month. End date will depend on your personal commitments, the volume of work available for us and whether the fit is mutually strong to continue the relationship. Other than those factors, we do not have a set timeframe so we will work around your needs and desires to the best of our ability.