Clyde & Co is a leading, sector-focused global law firm with 440 partners, 1800 lawyers, 2500 legal professionals, and 4000 staff in over 50 offices and associated offices worldwide. The firm specializes in the sectors that move, build and power our connected world and the insurance that underpins it, including: transport, infrastructure, energy, trade & commodities and insurance. With a strong focus on developed and emerging markets, the firm has achieved compound average annual revenue growth of 15% over the last ten years, making it one of the fastest-growing law firms in the world with ambitious plans for further growth.
Clyde & Co seeks an Associate with 5+ years of first party insurance coverage experience to be located in Chicago to work with their insurance coverage practice group. This team represents domestic and international insurers. Their practice focuses on complex insurance coverage analyses, and disputes involving bad faith claims and business interruption claims.Responsibilities
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Education and Experience
- Analyzing first--party insurance policies, drafting coverage opinions and providing coverage advice to insurance company clients;
- Assisting in federal and state litigation, including declaratory judgment actions brought by our insurer clients and defending our insurer clients in litigation filed by policyholders;
- Drafting pleadings; motions with supporting briefs; and mediation statements;
- Corresponding with opposing counsel, other parties, clients, experts/consultants, and the court;
- Conducting legal research using Westlaw/Lexis/Nexis;
- Drafting discovery requests and preparing subpoenas;
- Reviewing document collections received from parties and third-parties in litigation and managing document productions on behalf of our clients and consultants;
- Taking and defending depositions, hearings, and mediations as required;
- Assisting in locating and managing experts and consultants;
- Effectively delegating to and managing the work of junior associates and paralegals.
Skills and Ability
- Must be admitted to practice in Illinois, additional admissions a plus;
- First party insurance coverage experience a must;
- Litigation experience required.
- Exceptional legal writing and communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Strong work ethic and a sense of ownership over work;
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects;
- Ability to identify and resolve problems quickly.
- Willingness to travel as needed.
Candidate is expected to be able to complete these tasks with minimal oversight, and supervise junior associates and paralegals. Candidate should be able to independently manage workload and deadlines for multiple complex litigations simultaneously.
It is the policy of the Firm to recruit, hire, promote, reassign, compensate and train highly qualified persons without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable law.