Change Healthcare is a valued and trusted partner to our customers, enabling them to change healthcare by enhancing access and consumer engagement, simplifying and accelerating administration and payment, and helping enable affordable and quality care. The company provides the insights, expertise and solutions that help payers, providers and consumers successfully navigate value-based healthcare. Change Healthcare is at the center of the healthcare ecosystem, enabling the company to play an important role in transforming healthcare into a more consumer-friendly, efficient and value-driven system.
Leveraging its capabilities and talent, Change Healthcare’s strategic and operational plans require inspirational leadership and disciplined execution to deliver on its growth and market leadership expectations.
The Change Healthcare Legal and Compliance organization is seeking an experienced candidate to provide legal support across the business.
The Employment Counsel role will play an integral role in helping a complex, fast-paced organization to achieve its mission of inspiring a better healthcare system. Counsel will conduct legal research and prepare memorandum, guidelines, training, educational materials and other written product in support of the business. As a valued member of the Legal and Compliance organization, this position will support multiple client groups and have high visibility and exposure to upper management. Counsel will work closely and collaborate with other Counsels, Senior Counsels and Managing Senior Counsel.
Candidates for this position will be based in Atlanta. Our office is located in the Buckhead area.
- Reports to Senior Counsel, Employment and Benefits.
- Key internal partners include Legal and Compliance, Employee Relations, HR Compliance, Workforce Operations, and Human Resources.
- Provide advice and counsel on all employment issues related to hiring, including background check adjudication, drug testing, restrictive covenant review, and drafting of executive agreements.
- Review and advise on potential risks associated with termination decisions, including mutual separations, reductions-in-force, WARN, executive separations, and terminations for cause. Draft related agreements associated with the same.
- Partner with Employee Relations and other teams to investigate and respond to employee concerns, including but not limited to allegations of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. Advise on decisions regarding leave requests and other requests for accommodations. Draft position statements in response to administrative charges related to same.
- Advise on compensation related matters, including wage and hour compliance, sales compensation, commissions, incentive and other bonus plans.
- Stay abreast of legal, legislative, and administrative developments in employment law at the federal, state and local levels to provide compliance-related advice. Partner with Human Resources and managers to develop proactive employment policies, practices, guidelines and training.
- 5-7 years of substantive legal experience in labor and employment law counseling and managing employment litigation, with a company, not-for-profit, law firm, or government agency.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school; highest academic credentials; admission and in good standing with state bar.
- A mix of corporate law firm and in-house experience is preferred.
- Deep knowledge of Title VII, ADA, ADEA, FMLA, FLSA, and related state and local laws.
- Strong experience representing employers, large and small, in employment disputes.
- Able to travel approximately 10-15% of time.
- Exercise independent judgement while serving as primary legal counsel to Human Resources and providing legally sound and practical support on labor and employment matters in the U.S. and international locations.
- Possess, develop and maintain in-depth knowledge of labor and employment law to provide timely and accurate counseling and advice to internal stakeholder related to day-to-day employment related matters, including hiring, employee discipline, terminations, restructurings and payroll compliance matters.
- Draft, revise, and counsel on employment agreements, including offer letters, severance agreements, and restrictive covenants.
- Ability to manage and prioritize large-scale projects and high-volume.
- Outstanding written & verbal communication skills, ‘hands-on’ style and willingness to proactively engage with peers.
- Team approach to the practice of law. Working collaboratively on complex problems of broad scope, with other attorneys, Human Resources, and other internal clients.
- Strong people skills suitable for a client-focused business. Demonstrated ability to work independently and communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with broad spectrum of internal clients.
- Strategic Thinking
- Driving Results
- Leading Change
- Collaborating and Influencing
- Strong Communicator
Nice to Have:
- Immigration and ERISA experience is a plus.
The Company is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will not be disqualified from consideration for employment based upon criminal history.