Cheshire Law Group is adding a part-time (up to 25 hours a week) experienced Employment Law Attorney to its team of lawyers that exclusively represent nonprofit organizations as general counsel. The Employment Law Attorney will work directly with our nonprofit clients to become a trusted advisor and provide expert counsel on a wide variety of employment law matters. This role is ideal for an exceptional Employment Law Attorney who appreciates a collaborative working environment, who will enjoy working directly with leaders in the nonprofit sector, and who is driven by the desire to always meet clients’ needs in a positive, thoughtful, and thorough manner.
- Provide legal assistance and support nonprofit organization clients:
- Provide in-depth employment law counsel to nonprofit organizations, relying on experience and familiarity with employment-related federal, state, and local laws.
- Communicate directly with clients to advise on a wide range of issues such as employment contracts and offer letters, employer policies and procedures, worker classification, wages and overtime, ADA, workplace and employee safety, risk mitigation, privacy, discrimination, harassment, misconduct, employment disputes and terminations, compensation, and benefits.
- Navigate and de-escalate conflicts and handle litigation matters as needed.
- Review, draft, revise, and finalize a wide variety of documents including contracts, agreements and policies.
- Research federal, state, and local laws and draft memoranda to document findings.
- Translate complex legal issues into understandable concepts using charts or visual aids.
- Support and/or manage projects and execute required work with little or no supervision
- Communicate directly with clients and manage client expectations
- Monitor legal and compliance issues and client news/events
- Work collaboratively with the Firm’s team of lawyers and staff and with outside counsel as needed
- JD degree required; Must be in Good Standing
- Minimum 3+ years of relevant employment law experience
- Nonprofit law and/or corporate law experience a plus
- Licensed to practice in PA with NJ preferred and additional state licenses (e.g., NY, MD, DE, OH) a plus
- Excellent written and oral communications, research, editing, analytical, and negotiating skills; strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated interest in nonprofit organizations, board service, and/or working with underserved clients or communities
- Comfortable with diversity
Ideal Candidate Qualities
- Solid work ethic; team player; flexible; “no job is too small” mentality
- Highly organized; responsible; manages multiple priorities with ease and grace; timeliness; tenacious follow-through
- Excellent problem-solving skills; strategically creative
- High level of integrity and good judgment
- Open to constructive criticism, able and eager to apply new knowledge to future projects
- Sociable interpersonal skills, able to work independently and in a highly collaborative environment
- Contributes to internal Firm tasks; provides and implements suggestions for improvement that enhance our clients’ experiences and/or the Firm environment
Background check and screenings required after candidate is selected.
Cheshire Law Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer that provides opportunities to all employees and all applicants for employment. The Firm prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. We are fully committed to the importance of diversity in the legal profession and we strongly encourage the interest of diverse candidates in the Firm.
Cheshire Law Group is a for-profit law firm that exclusively serves nonprofit organizations, meeting the unique legal needs of the nonprofit sector by providing high-quality, affordable legal services. We seek systemic solutions and have long-term relationships with many of our clients. Nonprofit organizations of all types and sizes benefit from our assistance with providing "on call" general counsel advice, repositioning, start-up, and crisis management. The Firm is located in the historic Clarkson-Watson House in the Germantown area of Philadelphia, once headquarters of Thomas Jefferson and the U.S. Attorney General.
Learn more at www.cheshirenonprofitlaw.com