Judge Timothy Churchwell, who is chambered in the Douglas County Courthouse, Alexandria, Minnesota, seeks qualified candidates for a judicial law clerk position.
If you have an interest in learning about the courtroom process, even if unsure this is your career aspiration, then I would encourage you to consider this law clerk position. Judge Churchwell is seeking a motivated, professional individual, to become a part of our team in Douglas County, Minnesota. The successful applicant will have a good academic record, excellent research and writing skills, and the ability to work both individually and as part of a highly energetic team.
One of the benefits of an out-state judicial clerkship is the exposure to a multi-faceted caseload, as opposed to working in a single area of the law. In this position, you will address issues in criminal, civil, family, probate, juvenile, and conciliation cases. Some matters will be easily addressed, while others quite complex and challenging; but, in each instance, you will develop a better understanding of the practical aspects of litigation. Further, you will come to appreciate the demands of our profession as multi-tasking and working on short deadlines are a part of the responsibilities. The good news though is you will do so in a protected environment with the full support of an experienced judicial team.
The Douglas County judicial team is collaborative, collegial and dedicated to offering a positive work environment for everyone. In simple terms, you will be expected to work hard and become an integral member of the team; but also, develop strong working and personal relationships, find a quiet moment each day, and take time to explore the community and enjoy a personal life. The staff is highly interactive and looking forward to an individual who will fit in and make a great addition to the judicial team.
Prior to assuming the bench, Judge Churchwell worked as a trial attorney for more than 25 years. His experience includes the trial and appellate courts, a little bit of federal court, and administrative hearings. He does enjoy working with his law clerk on a daily basis, getting input from the law clerk, and helping his law clerk understand what is happening both in the courtroom and behind the scenes. Judge Churchwell places an emphasis on a collaborative approach with his judicial team to ensure each individual has an active and vital role.
Alexandria is a beautiful, vibrant community of approximately 15,000 located midway between Fargo and the Twin Cities along Interstate 94. Alexandria is in the heart of lake country and anyone with an interest in outdoor activities will be satisfied with the diversity of things to do. The community is family and pet friendly. Alexandria will appeal to anyone who is looking to be outside of a metropolitan area without sacrificing all the benefits of a big city.
Example of Duties
(Any one position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the examples cover all the duties which may be performed.)
The caseload involves all types of cases and issues, including: criminal, civil, family, probate, juvenile, and conciliation. The law clerk will work in each of these areas on a regular basis. Anyone with an interest in working in or around the courtroom will enjoy this opportunity.
In addition to traditional duties of research and writing, you will be expected to interact with a variety of stakeholders and participants, manage conciliation court, and develop the skills and knowledge necessary to successfully be a part of a court proceeding. The judicial team in Douglas County is positive, professional, and looking forward to an individual who will make a great addition to our work environment.
- Reviews, studies, researches, and annotates laws, court decisions, documents, opinions, briefs, and related legal authorities.
- Prepares briefs, legal memoranda, and statement of issues involved, including appropriate suggestions or recommendations to the justice or judge.
- Compiles references on laws and decisions necessary for legal determinations.
- Confers with justice, judge or court official concerning legal questions, construction of documents and granting of orders.
- Attends court sessions to hear oral arguments and records necessary case information; maintain records attendant to court proceedings.
- May perform courtroom duties including calling the calendar; swearing in jury panels and witness; taking court minutes; and assisting in various court proceedings such as arraignments, motions, hearings, pre-trial conferences and trials.
- Must be a graduate of an accredited law school.
- Knowledge of general law, state law, established precedent, and sources of legal reference.
- Knowledge of court practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of legal terminology and concepts.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, with a diverse group of people, including attorneys and pro se parties.
- Ability to research complex legal problems or questions and apply legal principles.
- Ability to represent the court in a respectful manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Familiarity with Microsoft products, including legal research software is preferred.
- Law Clerks are at-will employees and the work is performed under the supervision of a District Court Judge.
- Work is performed primarily in an office setting or a courtroom.
Successful Candidate Will Be Required To Pass A Criminal Background Check
This position is open to 2020 graduates. Judge Churchwell is looking for a person who has both the ability and interest to serve as a successful judicial clerk. This position will remain open until filled.
This position will remain open until filled.
Full State of Minnesota Benefit package.