Over the last decade, we set out to be the world's greatest dialysis company, and over the next decade, we're poised to build the greatest healthcare community the world has ever seen. When you join the A Healthcare Company Village, you're joining a winning team. Through our commitment to training, growth and quality, we consistently achieve superior clinical outcomes while giving teammates the opportunity to excel in an award-winning environment that enables them to thrive both professionally and personally.
A Healthcare Company’s well-regarded law department counsels all aspects of the company and provides legal support for all of the company’s transactions. The attorneys are integral strategic business partners that work closely with each other and senior management on a daily basis.
This position will be based in either of the following locations: A Healthcare Company’s World Headquarters in Denver, Colorado or our corporate business office in El Segundo, California.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The person in this position will be responsible for providing advice and guidance on a wide variety of labor and employment issues that arise from the day-to-day operations of a growing, complex public company operating in a heavily regulated environment. This position will also be responsible for managing employment-related litigation, including agency complaints. He/she will be part of a team that focuses on creating new strategies to support our teammates and drive efficiencies while ensuring that A Healthcare Company leads the way in being the Partner and Employer of Choice.
- The following duties and responsibilities generally reflect the expectations of this position but are not intended to be all inclusive.
- Providing guidance to the Company, Senior Executives, and the Company’s People Services team on the full gamut of employment, human resource and labor matters, including all policies and procedures.
- Overseeing labor and employment litigation where A Healthcare Company is a party, including managing costs to ensure effective use of resources.
- Investigating or overseeing the investigation of complaints by teammates (employees) concerning violations of company policy or related issues.
- Managing interaction with EEOC, DOL, DOJ, including response and defense of inquiries and investigations.
- Providing training to the Company’s People Services team and/or managers on labor and employment legal issues.
- Advising senior management and A Healthcare Company business units on employment compliance and risk management in order to accomplish business objectives without undue risk.
- Keeping the Company’s senior management abreast of significant labor and employment decisions, legislation and regulatory rulings that may affect the Company’s business or policy.
- Developing a thorough understanding of and familiarity with the Company's business, its people, markets, facilities, customers and competitors in order to identify trends and formulate appropriate structures and strategies..
- Drafting, reviewing, analyzing and negotiating employment-related agreements including consulting, severance, incentive, noncompetition and confidentiality agreements.
- Establishing a rapport and working relationship with teammates at all levels in order to encourage and continue the proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
- Performing special assignments or projects.
- Must be able to travel a minimum of 15%.
Here is what you can expect when you join our Village:
- A "community first, company second" culture based on Core Values that really matter.
- Clinical outcomes consistently ranked above the national average.
- Award-winning education and training across multiple career paths to help you reach your potential.
- Performance-based rewards based on stellar individual and team contributions.
- A comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance your health, your financial well-being and your future.
- Dedication, above all, to caring for patients suffering from chronic kidney failure across the nation.
A successful candidate will meet the following qualifications and characteristics:
- J.D. Degree with minimum 6 years of legal experience
- State bar qualification and good standing
- Law firm experience required; additional in-house experience a plus
- Strong alignment with A Healthcare Company’s Mission and Core Values
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Unquestioned integrity and ethics
- Assertive and a self-starter
- Maturity and strong interpersonal skills; one whose counsel and judgment are actively sought
- Keen understanding of business and commerce, the ability to diagnose legal problems, and present positive, creative solutions and alternatives for management
- Bright individual who is a “quick study” and grasps issues quickly. Not hindered by an overly bureaucratic and structured approach to solving problems.
- Possesses good stamina and humor. Able to work well under pressure in a fast moving, dynamic company.
- Maturity and flexibility to work effectively with senior management, subordinates and operations personnel.
- Interpersonal skills to be team participant with legal background rather than just the lawyer to the team.
- Key ability to accomplish tasks of both a recurring nature up to complicated analysis in a high volume, fast-paced environment.