During this current situation with COVID-19, the ABA will continue to accept and process applications for job opportunities. We will conduct our recruitment process via alternative means (virtual interviews) for the time being.
The ABA recruits employees seeking opportunities for challenging and substantive work defending liberty and pursuing justice in the U.S. and around the world. The ABA offers competitive employment benefits which include medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k), commuter benefits, and more.
Accountable for the day-to-day oversight and business operations of the division’s offsite legal and technical assistance programs in accordance with current funding requirements and the short- and long-term objectives.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Supports division’s leadership as the primary day-to-day operations liaison for the offsite Program Directors and has authority to approve the majority of business transactions recommended by the offsite Program Directors.
- Participates in the development of the division’s goals and strategy as a member of the Management Team, and participates in (and sometimes leads) management meetings between the Director and the Offsite Program Directors and ensures delivery of effective, efficient business administration services for offsite programs by interfacing with the ABA’s shared services departments.
- In support of the Director, assists with budget development and implementation. In consultation with the offsite Program Directors, is responsible for the accurate implementation of grant funding expenditure guidelines and compliance with grant expenditure documentation requirements.
- In consultation with the Director, offsite Program Directors, and the Management Team, identifies opportunities for cross-project program coordination and shared services that support the division’s goals, fit with the division’s strategy, and increase local, regional, and national impact.
- In consultation with the Director and offsite Program Directors, identifies emerging direct services and technical assistance program opportunities that support the division’s goals, fit with the division’s strategy, and increase impact.
Required Education, Qualifications, Experience
- Possession of a Juris Doctorate or LLM from an ABA-accredited law school with licensure to practice in at least one state.
- Prior experience managing budgets including grants and/or contracts.
- Two years immigration law experience.
- Experience supervising employees which must have included goal setting, performance management/feedback, and hiring/termination of staff.
- Highly proficient in Excel. Intermediate proficiency in both the Microsoft Office Suite of products and with Google tools and products.
Preferred Education, Qualifications, Experience
- Prior leadership or management experience and non-profit experience, particularly involving legal services and field work or work in remote locations.
- Prior work or volunteer experience with Spanish-speaking populations.
- Written and oral fluency in English and Spanish.
- Previous experience representing immigrant children or adults in removal proceedings.
- Prior experience managing funder relationships.
The American Bar Association is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with the American Bar Association please call 312-988-5188.