This is an opportunity to be part of a fast-growing startup company and help shape the future of publishing and storytelling. Tapas has a fun collaborative culture that’s reflective of the creative storytelling business that we’re in.
We're seeking to hire a Director, Legal Affairs (Senior Legal Counsel) who will be based in the Los Angeles area where our headquarters employees primarily reside. The ideal candidate will be an experienced legal affairs professional with strong drafting skills to lead solid documentation and drafting aspects in the Legal department.
The Director, Legal Affairs is a highly visible role that will work in a collaborative fashion across business areas to develop and build deal inventory, analyze, and draft publishing, talent, distribution, co-production, licensing, option and other agreements while providing ongoing support to business affairs and the content team. They will advise and work closely with the Chief Content Officer, Business Affairs and other senior content leaders as well as external legal counsel in matters that affect creative, production, marketing, publicity, and franchise management.
- Review budgets and other financial data associated with the development of intellectual property.
- Partner with Business Affairs team to coordinate, prioritize and streamline legal drafting support.
- Prepare and draft complex contracts, including, but not limited to development, co-production, publishing, shopping, master service agreements, collaboration agreements, consulting and professional services agreements, confidential disclosure and data sharing agreements, material transfer agreements, vendor agreements, statements of work and standard terms and conditions.
- Serve as a legal resource to Content team by (i) explaining contract and entertainment law concepts and (ii) proposing creative solutions to drafting impasses.
- Assist with initiatives to improve the contracting process by reducing cycle times and increasing efficiency.
- Assist with development of template agreements, alternative provisions and policy for draft forms.
- Assist with enforcement of contract policies and processes.
- Draft and review agreements and help to maintain and update the group’s forms and evolving legal best practices.
- Develop, manage and maintain Company contract inventory and permissions.
- Contract Administration.
- Work with the Business Affairs team and colleagues in the Law Department on major projects with long-term business implications
- BA/BS degree
- Juris Doctorate (JD) with license to practice in the state of California
- 5-7 years of professional legal affairs experience at a major law firm or studio media company, including transactional work
- Strong knowledge of entertainment and intellectual property law (including publishing, licensing and chain of title)
- Proficiency in legal analysis and reasoning; strong drafting skills
- Ability to cultivate strong relationships with talent representatives, business/legal affairs executives, and business partners
- Ability to adapt rapidly in a fast-moving environment with evolving priorities; handle ambiguity, and react gracefully under pressure
- Work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Strong problem solving abilities
- Collaborative work ethic with sound and ethical judgement