Provide legal support for significant transactions for the Property business units in the Americas region including:
Structuring of transactions; and Documenting transactions to accurately reflect the commercial objectives and drivers.
Deliver outcomes which are:
- Solutions focused and commercial
- Customer focused;
- Commercially astute;
- Aligned to business strategy;
- Most efficiently delivered using internal and external resources; and
- Not duplicated between teams within the Property Americas legal team or other legal teams within Lendlease.
Lead, develop & direct the Americas Property legal team to support the strategy & business plan for the legal function within Property Americas which is aligned to:
Property Americas Strategy & Business Plan outcomes; and
Group Legal strategy.
Have an attitude characterized by:
- Customer and client focused (both internal and external);
- Proactivity in relation to adding value to the business;
- Collaboration and co-operation with the business, the Americas Region and other legal teams within Lendlease globally;
- Flexibility and adaptability in thinking and working;
- Support of change management processes driving efficiencies and best practice; and
- Focus on teamwork and a collaborative approach to decision making.
Work closely with Lendlease People & Culture, Tax, Finance, Risk, Insurance and all other relevant Lendlease functions in order to ensure outcomes are delivered in an efficient and effective manner.
Work closely with the General Counsel, Americas to ensure that relevant issues are elevated to the appropriate level within the Americas Region and to Lendlease Group. Develop strong relationships across all levels of the Americas Legal team.
Develop positive and productive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders and external law firms.
Qualifications – Desirable and Essential
- Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited school required.
- Admission to a state bar.
- Further education in business related / construction or property related discipline.
- +/- 10 years of relevant legal experience.
- Extensive prior experience with sophisticated national real estate transactions involving the development and financing of large commercial projects, including joint ventures and co-investments, complex acquisitions and dispositions of real estate assets, debt and equity and real estate finance.
- Expertise in drafting and negotiating a broad spectrum of complex contracts and agreements for large-scale real estate development projects in multi-family residential, commercial office, mixed use and other asset classes.
- Experience in structuring, drafting and negotiating joint venture and partnership agreements, purchase and sale agreements and leases, mezzanine loan and preferred equity agreements, real estate mortgage financing, letters of intent, confidentiality and consulting agreements, and related contracts.
- Demonstrated ability to manage large-scale real estate transactions and closings.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated expertise and skill in analyzing issues, providing strategic issue-management advice.
- Strong writing and business case development skills.
- Strong business acumen.
- Experience with large-scale developments, land use, planning, entitlements, zoning and subdivisions.
- Experience in fund formation in real estate or other private investment funds.
- Experience in relevant ancillary legal areas including intellectual property, design, construction, litigation, insolvency, funds management, conflicts of interest and compliance.