General Job Information
Bring your professional career to Washington, D.C., the most dynamic and diverse city in the country. With its proximity to major museums, world-class parks, entertainment and restaurants, increasing job opportunities and the seat of the federal government, the District of Columbia continues to be ranked the top 10 thriving city indicators where you can live work and play. Contribute to and work for a nationally accredited Health Department. The District of Columbia DC Health earned national accreditation by the Public Health Accreditation Board (PHAB) and is an early adopter in attaining the designation. Come see where your skills are appreciated and rewarded by applying for the following public health opportunity.
This position is located in the DC Health, Office of the General Counsel (OGC). The OGC is responsible for reviewing all legal, legislative and regulatory matters and contract issues pertaining to the Department programs and services, etc. The incumbent of this position works under the general supervision of the General Counsel of DC Health, who furnishes broad instructions as to the scope of particular projects in the areas of assigned responsibility. The incumbent consults with the General Counsel only on doubtful and complex matters and questions of policy. Work involves extensive and detailed comprehension of a wide range of technical and legal procedures and guidelines. The incumbent is assigned to those measures, which are more complex or controversial, and is required to evaluate, effect, and to determine through detailed research whether there are existing precedents relating to said measures. The incumbent must be intricately familiar with and have special expertise on the analysis and legislative history of the District of Columbia. Work also involves research, review and analysis of facts related to matters assigned, to determine adequate of evidence to support execution or non-execution of proposed or tentative rulemaking decisions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent serves as the Deputy General Counsel and is responsible for, but limited to the following:
- Providing opinions and advice to DC Health, the Mayor's Office of Legal Counsel, the Council of the District of Columbia, and external parties regarding Federal and local legislation.
- Advises the General Counsel and DC Health senior staff on legal and policy matters related to legislation and regulations.
- Analyzes existing and proposed Federal and local legislation and regulations relating to Departmental programs.
- Administers the review, coordination and development of draft legislation and regulations and provides technical assistance and advice to DC Health senior staff.
- Prepares proposals and justifications of legislation as part of the District's Legislative Program.
- In conjunction with DC Health's Office of Government Relations, coordinates and facilitates Departmental responses to the various committees of the Council.
- Advises the General Counsel and other concerned individuals when new legislation requires rulemaking and provides technical assistance and advice in rule development.
- Develops rules to proposed standards and regulations to licensing, certifying or approving health care and social services facilities, and health care professionals.
- Reviews for formal and legal sufficiency all notices and proposed rules prior to submission to publication in the D.C. Register regarding provisions of the law which relate provisions of the law which related to programs and activities of the Department.
- Maintains a repository of laws, regulations and policy issuances relating to DC Health.
- Interprets and analyzes judicial and administrative decisions of the District of Columbia and Federal Government to assure legislative and regulatory compliance and conformity with those decisions and initiate necessary revisions in laws and regulations.
- Provides legal opinions concerning Departmental programs and activities.
- Seeks opinions from, and coordination on litigation with the Office of the Attorney General.
- Maintains information, including court orders, on all cases involving DC Health.
- Represents the Department before the Office Hearings, and review recommendations and recommends concurrence or separate opinions, and assesses, need for revising agency procedures or policy as result of those decisions.
- Interprets and analyzes judicial and administrative decisions of the District of Columbia and Federal Government to assure Departmental compliance and conformity with those decisions.
- May advise State Health Planning and Development Agency (SHPDA) on all major certificate of need (CON) reviews.
- Perform direct legal work and will supervise the legal work performed by the other attorneys, paralegals, and legal interns.
- Shares with the General Counsel the supervision of the subordinate, unionized staff.
- Handle legal work required by the DC Health as the responsible attorney or as a supervisory attorney, legal work can support any activity described at www.dchealth.gov ., any activity assigned to DC Health, and activities of government operations (including laws for employment, government contracting, grants, ethics, and open government).
- Serve as an independent hearing officer when the DC Health proposes to terminate the employment of a permanent, Career Service employee.
Qualifications and Education
The incumbent must be a graduate from a law school approved by the American Bar Association and hold a Juris Doctorate (JD); in addition to one (1) year of specialized experience, equivalent to the next lower level.
"Specialized Experience" is defined as experience that is in, or directly related to, the line of work of this position.
Incumbent must be an active member in good standing of the District of Columbia Bar or eligible for wavier into the bar (if eligible for waiver, incumbent must successfully obtain admission to the D.C. Bar within one year of commencing employment).