Sorry! This position is no longer available!
The Deputy General Counsel reports to the General Counsel in the Sacramento office; however, the reporting location for this position is in the Fresno office and accordingly is employed as an unclassified at-will employee. The Deputy General Counsel position is a management level, single-position classification that assists with advising the District on a variety of legal issues, with a particular focus on compliance with Ralph M. Brown Act, California Public Records Act, public contracting law, employment laws, and public financing laws (including Proposition 218 procedures).
The essential responsibilities and duties include the following:
- Assist with the District’s response to requests for public records.
- Assist staff with preparing notices and agenda for meetings.
- Draft, review, and assist with negotiations of contracts.
- Support the District’s management team during labor and employment matters.
- Conduct legal research.
- Develop legal recommendations.
- Assist with the management of outside counsel.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Any combination of equivalent education and experience that has led to the acquisition of the knowledge required by the position. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and experience would be:
- Graduation from ABA-accredited law school, successful completion of the California Bar Exam, admitted and active member of the California Bar. No disqualifying issues in State Bar ethics and background information; and
- At least five (5) years of work either in house or as outside counsel for a public agency.
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license and maintain a satisfactory driving record.
- Employment and Labor law
- Public Agency law
- Public Agency Contracting law.
- Public Agency Finance.
- Word processing, spreadsheet, and database software applications
Closing Date: 30th April, 2020