Arlington County is seeking an accomplished legal advisor to serve as the next County Attorney.
Reporting to the County Board, the County Attorney provides chief legal counsel and advice to the Board, County Manager, County departments, and County Board appointed agencies, boards and commissions. This position provides an exciting opportunity to address multifaceted legal challenges, collaborate with elected officials to carry out County Board and County leadership priorities, and provide oversight to the County Attorney’s Office (CAO), with an annual operating budget of $3,650,000 and in-house staff of 18.
Key responsibilities include:
- Acts as County’s chief legal advisor by providing highest authority for legal decisions and provides sound legal advice on significant policy, code/ordinance, project, land use, litigation, financial matters, contracts, etc.
- Manages complex and sensitive legal matters, analyzes disputes, reviews decisions and makes recommendations, and negotiates litigation matters with other lawyers in private practice and in federal, State, and local governments.
- Provides strategic oversight to the County Attorney’s Office, including developing strategies to implement County Board and County leadership priorities; and, providing leadership and management to professional and paraprofessional legal staff.
The Ideal Candidate:
The successful candidate will be an experienced attorney with an understanding of the complexities and challenges of a municipal government and a strong record of achievement in the following areas:
- Experience creating an inclusive and diverse work culture to ensure that we get the best, most creative talent on our team;
- Effectively partnering with an organization’s governing board/leadership to provide solution-oriented legal advice while navigating operational realities;
- Successful track record of developing strategies for defensible positions as a city/county Attorney or experience in a private law firm advising municipal governments with a full range of services;
- Experience litigating complex cases or managing legal matters of sufficient size or complexity that shows evidence of the ability to manage legal strategies in cases of significant import;
- Experience prioritizing approaches to policy/code/ordinance development that lead to equitable outcomes; and,
- Demonstrated track record in attorney and staff development, management of outside counsel, and commitment to the success of organization.
Arlington – The Community And County Government
Arlington County is an urban community of about 26 square miles situated directly across the Potomac River from the nation's capital. Arlington's distinctive character is reflected in urban neighborhoods that have a small town feel while providing access to big city amenities.
Arlington County operates under the County Manager form of government. The five members of the County Board are elected at large to serve staggered, four-year terms. The County Attorney and County Manager are appointed by the County Board. The County Manager works for the County Board and oversees County staff and day-to-day operations.
- Must have a J.D. from an accredited law school, plus significant senior level experience practicing local/municipal law or related field, including supervision of legal staff.
- Possession of a license to practice law in Virginia or any U.S. state that has a reciprocity agreement with the state.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Extensive knowledge of current legal developments and federal, state, and local statutes, regulations, rules, and ordinances applicable to Virginia municipalities;
- Experience interacting with a board of directors, elected officials, or other governing body structure; and,
- Previous employment with a Virginia city/county government or experience in a private law firm advising municipal governments with a full range of municipal services.
Please attach a resume and cover letter (or supplemental response) describing why you are interested in the County Attorney position, and detail your experience serving as a primary legal advisor and accomplishments in the following areas:
- Supervising, directing, and coordinating the work of legal department/team;
- Providing legal advice to elected officials, councils and/or boards; and
- Litigating complex cases, analyzing disputes, and providing legal recommendations.
Completion of the Commonwealth of Virginia Statement of Economic Interest form will be required of the successful candidate upon hire and annually thereafter.
A pre-hire background check will be made on all candidates who are selected for employment. It may include checks of the following: criminal record, driving record, education, professional licensure, and credit history. You may be required to sign a release authorizing the County to obtain your background information.
This recruitment is open until the position is filled with a preferred filling date of July 23, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis. Applications submitted by this date will receive first consideration.
The salary range is negotiable. Starting salary will depend upon the qualifications and experience of the candidate selected.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position.
Arlington County is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce that celebrates and values the diversity of our employees, customers, and users, as well as including perspectives from backgrounds that vary by race, ethnicity, social background, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, and national origin. We encourage applicants of ALL backgrounds to apply for this position.