States United Democracy Center, a nonpartisan organization focused on the critical role states play in election protection, is looking to hire a Counsel(s). The Counsel will be a core member of the organization’s legal program reporting to the Legal Director. The Counsel will work with a team of internal and external lawyers and policy experts to analyze election and voting laws, provide legal guidance to the organization and state officials, and bring and support litigation to protect elections, voting, and democracy.About the organization:
States United Democracy Center is a new and growing nonpartisan organization advancing free, fair, and secure elections. We focus on connecting state officials, law enforcement leaders, and pro-democracy partners across America with the tools and expertise they need to safeguard our democracy. States United is engaged in legal actions to protect our elections and democracy. During the 2020 election, then as the Voter Protection Program, we quickly became a go-to resource for state leaders, the press, and partner organizations. By bringing together current and former governors, secretaries of state, attorneys general, and law enforcement leaders for the first time, we helped build a nonpartisan firewall against those trying to undermine democracy.Responsibilities:
- Assist in developing litigation and other legal projects by conducting factual, legal, and strategic analysis, and devising relevant theories and materials, and cases.
- Support litigation of cases in state and federal courts, working closely with other States United attorneys and co-counsel.
- Provide technical assistance and expert legal advice to the Legal Director, Senior Counsels, Chief Executive Officer, Board members, stakeholders, partners, coalition members, and others who seek assistance from States United.
- Conduct legal research and provide guidance and analysis of election and voting laws; analyze bills, laws and legal activity on elections and voting; and recommend legal, research and policy actions.
- Work with colleagues in the Policy and Communications Departments to analyze legal issues and develop public education and other materials on democracy protection, including drafting and/or reviewing policy reports, white papers, and press materials.
- Work with a robust pro bono legal representation program, including outside law firms and lawyers.
- Provide support and assistance to the Legal Director on all legal activities of the organization.
- Track and stay up to date on election and voting law changes and cases.
- Draft materials, memos, guidance, and research for the legal and other teams.
- Attorney/JD with active license and litigation experience.
- Experience working on issues of election protection, voting rights, and/or democracy protection preferred.
- Experience working with state officials, including governors or attorneys general, a plus.
- Ability to support significant public interest litigation.
- Team player who can work with other attorneys and coordinate with internal and external legal teams.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Willingness and ability to work beyond the normal workday, on weekends, and/or more than 40 hours a week as necessary.
- Outstanding judgment about both case/legal issues and management/organizational issues.
- Outstanding writing and editing skills, including drafting and editing complex briefs and legal analysis
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense, and good listening ability.