National Grid is hiring a Counsel of Labor and Employee Relations for our Waltham, MA or Brooklyn, NY location.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
To provide professional legal advice, support and guidance to the business in order to mitigate risk and ensure compliance.
- Provide advice and counsel to Human Resources and other various business units regarding state and federal labor and employment laws and on various employment-related decisions involving hiring, termination, discipline and promotion
- Prepare the Company’s responses to state and federal administrative charges (EEOC, MCAD, RICHR, NYSDHR, etc.), including overseeing internal investigations, conducting witness interviews, gathering documents and drafting the Company’s position statement and responses to document requests
- Review and provide guidance on employment-related policies and procedures
- Prepare and negotiate severance/separation agreements
- Provide legal guidance to Human Resources on conducting internal investigations
- Provide training to Human Resources and various business units
- Respond to employment-related subpoenas and other requests for information from third-parties and advise on any potential privacy related issues
- Experience handling subpoenas
- Manage and oversee outside counsel in employment-related litigations, including efficiently managing outside counsel costs and fees and advising the various business units on strategy and mitigation of risks
- Work collaboratively with various business units, in-house lawyers and outside counsel
- J.D. from an accredited college or university
- Member of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, New York or Rhode Island Bar with 5-10 years of labor & employment law experience
- Experience in representing clients in labor and employment related matters
- Solid written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work with all levels within the organization
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.