Pernod Ricard USA seeks a highly motivated, team player to serve as Counsel, Marketing & Innovation. The position will support multifaceted marketing, advertising and product labeling initiatives to grow our business while ensuring compliance with laws and industry guidelines.
Major Responsibilities / Accountabilities
- Review of consumer brand advertising initiatives across all channels (digital, television and print) to ensure that all materials are compliant with federal & local laws and industry guidelines applicable to marketing of alcohol beverage products in the United States.
- Provide advice on matters impacting advertising and alcohol beverage trade practice laws and guidelines (e.g. privacy, digital, social media, consumer protection laws, intellectual property, endorsements, coupons, e-commerce, contests/sweepstakes, and other promotional laws).
- Draft and negotiate agency, sponsorship, influencer, co-promotions, talent and other marketing- related contracts.
- Provide advice pertaining to new product innovations and labeling requirements consistent with the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB).
- Liaise with federal and state alcohol beverage regulatory agencies, as necessary.
- Provide legal training to marketing and other teams.
- Provide marketing and advertising support as requested to global brand affiliates for U.S. initiatives.
- Manage and develop junior team members.
- Handle special projects as assigned by Associate General Counsel-Marketing & Innovation and General Counsel, on an as-needed basis.
Nature & Scope
Position typically works with managers, directors and vice presidents of the company. Communication will include contacts within and outside of the company.
- Education: Requires Juris Doctorate Degree. Admission to a state Bar is required. Admission to the New York Bar preferred.
- Experience / Background: 4-7 years of experience as a practicing marketing or alcohol beverage attorney required. Experience with alcohol beverage laws is preferred. Strong candidates with previous in-house and top law firm experience are encouraged to apply.
A successful individual will have a strong work ethic and drive to exceed expectations, be a team player, highly responsive and demonstrate skill in critical thinking, negotiation, and relationship-building, as well as a very high level of analytic and reasoning skills. S/he must have a strong writing, interpersonal, organizational, and leaderships skills and manifest a strong entrepreneurial spirit. S/he will possess the ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a timely manner, be client-service oriented with the ability to create effective solutions to complex matters and create working relationships cross-functionally, including interfacing confidently with internal and external stakeholders, on legal and business matters. S/he will also have the ability to exercise independent, informed, and considered judgment with minimal supervision.
Estimate: 5-10% of time.