Mary Kay is an iconic global brand in the multi-billion dollar direct sales and cosmetics industries established upon the principle of enriching women’s lives. Each day, in over 37 markets worldwide, Mary Kay enriches the lives of millions of women by providing a rewarding business opportunity and irresistible, top quality cosmetic products. As a leader and innovator in its market, Mary Kay is committed to pursuing talent with this same passion and drive for excellence and making a difference in the world.
As Counsel, you’ll be responsible for providing timely, insightful and pragmatic counseling to internal clients on various business matters affecting domestic and global initiatives. You’ll be expected to provide legal advice, guidance and strategic counsel to the Company on a wide variety of commercial issues which arise from day-to-day operations, and play a key role in helping to mitigate risk, drive efficient commercial processes, prepare agreements and protect the interests of the Company, the millions of Independent Beauty Consultants who sell Mary Kay products, and the ultimate consumer.Job Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & QualificationsEducation:
- Manages and works across a broad spectrum of litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
- Drafts and reviews pleading and motions involving a variety of legal issues.
- Assists with the preparation of discovery and responses to discovery, including gathering of relevant information and documents.
- Conducts legal research.
- Serves as a liaison between business partners and outside counsel.
- Negotiates and reviews insurance policies.
- Manages domestic and global insured claims.
- Drafts, reviews, negotiates and advises on a variety of contracts, including confidentiality, services, equipment purchase, outsourcing, cloud computing, SAAS, digital media, application and software development, licensing, supply and manufacturing agreements.
- Works with key business partners, legal team members, outside counsel and others as necessary to gather facts and information, assess legal risks and provide advice to protect the Company.
- Assess legal risks associated with business initiatives and operations and make recommendations to address those risks.
- Provides education and training to business partners to ensure awareness and to help manage legal risks.
- Provides guidance and training to paralegals and other staff within the Legal Division.
- Supports other legal duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree and law degrees (LL.M or J.D.) from an accredited institution and admission to at least one State Bar with the ability and willingness to be admitted to the State Bar of Texas upon request.
Experience: Minimum 3-5 years of legal and/or litigation experience in a variety of litigation matters from initial case development through discovery phase. Must also have experience in-house or with a law firm drafting, reviewing and negotiating a variety of contracts.
- Requires strong interpersonal and communication skills, tact, diplomacy and a high level of professionalism in order to interface with outside and opposing counsel, all levels of management, independent sales force and government officials.
- Must possess sound decision-making skills as well as excellent organizational and analytical skills and the ability to handle tense situations head-on.
- Must have strong negotiation skills to directly engage in legal transactions/settlements and ensure the Company’s interests are protected and represented. Arbitration and counseling skills are required to resolve issues, advise others and settle claims.
- Strong oral communication skills are required to effectively interact with both internal and external contacts, coordinate legal activities, advise on legal matters and formulate policy recommendations.
- Strong written communication skills required to draft documents, make recommendations and communicate with both internal and external customers.
- The ability to multi-task and a sense of urgency and timeliness is required.
- Preferred: Strong knowledge in technology law and a solid foundation in IP law