The McDonald’s Legal Department has an exciting cross-functional opportunity for a talented lawyer with 2-4 years of legal experience. McDonald’s believes that a minimum of 2 years’ experience is necessary; McDonald’s will consider lawyers with more than 4 years of relevant experience. The Global Labor and Employment Law Group, Commercial Litigation Practice Group and Tort Litigation Practice Group are looking for a lawyer who will join their teams – spending approximately 50 percent of time and energy on labor and employment matters and the remaining 50 percent on litigation matters. This is a highly outstanding opportunity for a lawyer to work in-house in three related but distinct practice areas.
The Global Labor and Employment Law Group balances a wide variety of matters including providing advice and counsel to HR professionals both domestically and internationally, working on the company’s strategic initiatives and leading all aspects of labor and employment litigation.
The Commercial Litigation Practice Group balances a wide variety of commercial disputes, including franchising matters; consumer and employment class action cases; real estate disputes; IP claims; breach of contract, unfair business practices and other business tort litigation; and government investigations.
The Tort Litigation Practice Group is responsible for all customer claims and litigation brought against McDonald’s in the US involving personal injury. The team also provides legal support and advice to McDonald’s Safety, Security, Supply Chain and Insurance Departments. The Tort Team’s primary objectives are to assist the business in preventing customers’ incidents and reducing litigation costs while maintaining a consistent approach to litigation across the country.
In this cross-functional role, the lawyer’s responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and policies
- Participating in and influencing the decision-making process with appropriate clients and partners
- Identifying and assessing legal risks and opportunities within the labor and employment and litigation areas and advising accordingly
- Independently balancing legal matters and projects ranging from basic to complex, with oversight by more senior counsel
- Under the supervision of senior counsel, coordinating every aspect of litigation and related matters where McDonald’s is a party or has an interest, including corresponding with opposing counsel, responding to subpoenas, drafting pleadings, preparing and responding to discovery, preparing witnesses for deposition and trial testimony, representing witnesses in depositions, and preparing for oral arguments
- Under the supervision of senior counsel, actively engaging in every aspect of the litigation process, including assessing risk, developing strategy, partnering with outside counsel, managing budgets, ensuring compliance with e-discovery requirements, preparing for trial, and devising strategy
- Ensuring that appropriate clients and stakeholders are involved in the decision-making process
- Educating clients and stakeholders on legal matters, policies and procedures
- Supervising, managing, and evaluating outside counsel as appropriate
- Supervising and/or providing direction to administrative, paralegal, and other support staff
- Establishing and handling relationships, credibility, and trust with clients, partners, legal team members and other colleagues
- This role requires some domestic travel (10-20%)
- 2-4 years of labor and employment and/or litigation experience required. McDonald’s believes that a minimum of 2 years’ experience is necessary; McDonald’s will consider lawyers with more than 4 years of relevant experience.
- Licensed to practice law and in good standing with a state bar association
- Experience balancing labor and employment and/or litigation matters in federal and state courts and administrative agencies
- Experience counseling clients on labor and employment and/or litigation matters
- Stellar written and communication skills required