Under the direction of the System Vice-President and General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel, (the “Supervising Attorneys”) responsible for providing legal advice to Senior Staff, the Board of Directors of Edward-Elmhurst Healthcare and its affiliated entities (“EEH”), and to the employees of EEH and its affiliates on related legal matters.
It is the obligation of each employee of EEH to abide by and promote the mission and values of the EEH and its Standards of Conduct to ensure that excellent services are delivered with compassion.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities: (The following duties and responsibilities are all essential job functions, as defined by the ADA, except those that begin with the word "May.")
- Under direction of Supervising Attorneys, researches and recommends appropriate action to the Boards of Directors, Senior Staff, Medical Staff and EEH Staff on a wide variety of matters. Independently researches or assists in researching various legal matters (including statutory, regulatory and case law). Prepares appropriate memoranda to communicate research or findings.
- Negotiates contracts and other legal documents with third parties including contracts for supplies, capital, equipment, services, IT, professional staff, physicians, real estate and other contracts working in conjunction with EEH Staff and Supervising Attorneys, as appropriate.
- Assists Supervising Attorneys in major transactions and the development of new ventures or programs, including due diligence / document review.
- Provides legal review and where necessary, drafts EEH policies and procedures for consideration by Senior Staff, the Medical Staff or the Board, as appropriate.
- Performs other appropriate legal duties as assigned by the Supervising Attorneys.
- Manages and/or helps assists with corporate governance matters, including necessary corporate, tax and real estate filings. Attends Board meetings and drafts minutes, including preparing meeting agendas, and ensuring that open issues discussed at meetings are followed-up.
- Participates on various ad hoc and standing corporate committees.
- Assists in the legal resolution of patient care problems for EEH; assesses EEH’s liability, determines an appropriate plan of action, makes recommendations to appropriate medical/clinical staff and EEH executives and ensures follow through of approved plan of action.
- Investigates and evaluates actual and potential claim exposures across the system and evaluates the standard of care or liability exposure, causation, and damages. Prepares claim notes and memoranda regarding same and oversees claims database entries for same. Provides Third Party Claims Administration for affiliated physician groups pursuant to guidelines.
- Works collaboratively with risk management to identify risk management trends, issues and opportunities. Identifies risk and loss control issues and makes recommendations as appropriate. Provides legal advice/support to risk managers as requested. Provides direction and legal advice as requested by facilities on assigned matters. Participates in Legal Department on-call rotation.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required:
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Juris Doctor degree (or graduating in 2019)
- Work requires state-of-the-art awareness of the terminology, methodology, technology, and literature in a healthcare field
Preferred Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum one year experience providing legal services in a healthcare environment
- MBA or other business experience
Required License and/or Certification:
- Current State of Illinois law degree license (or sitting for bar exam in 2019)
- A very high degree of analytical ability is required to solve highly complex management and legal problems and to recommend prudent legal course of action. High level interpersonal skills to interact effectively with Senior Staff, Medical Staff, and all levels of corporate personnel to obtain information and provide counsel regarding sensitive legal issues.
- An exceptional level of communication and business skills are required in order to prepare and present persuasive presentations in high-stakes and high-stress situations, lead and inspire others, and represent the organization at the highest levels.
- Work generally consists of activities, projects, or assignments where there is considerable decision-making authority regarding procedures, plans and schedules.