We are looking for an attorney who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great filmmaking that define Lucasfilm.
This position can be based in San Francisco or Los Angeles and will report to the head of Lucasfilm Business and Legal Affairs.
Lucasfilm’s business spans the entire entertainment spectrum, including production of original live-action and animated content for film and television, visual effects and audio production for external clients, licensed products, and gaming. Lucasfilm’s Business and Legal Affairs team supports all of these activities to execute on the creative team’s vision to ensure a cohesive Star Wars narrative that plays across multiple media.
Our Business and Legal Affairs team is a small, tight knit group working very closely with production and key creatives. We seek a collaborative attorney with a great sense of humor, attributes key to our success in meeting the multiple demands and tight deadlines of a fast-paced production environment.
Duties of the Counsel position will primarily involve negotiating and drafting all aspects of development and production agreements for streaming episodic development and production. Teaming closely with Principal Counsel, this position may also plan, evaluate, review, draft and negotiate a variety of technology and commercial agreements. This position will also manage important relationships with the legal teams’ business and entertainment partners, review and analyze agreements, and advise company executives and producers on transactional and strategic issues relating to episodic production.
- Draft agreements for directors, producers, writers, actors, voice talent, casting directors, locations, production services, and other production related deals for streaming episodic development and production.
- Resolve episodic production related issues, including in connection with applicable guilds regarding re-use of footage, background uses of artwork, fair use, etc.
- Anticipate and identify issues and risks, recommending potential solutions, and identifying trends in the areas of law relating to entertainment and technology.
- Combined minimum of 5 years of relevant experience at a reputable law firm and/or one or more networks/studios handling development and production work for television series and/or movies. Animation and distribution experience (or knowledge of industry), strongly preferred.
- Excellent academic credentials and references, solid analytical skills, and a teamwork oriented attitude required.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, and be able to interact effectively with individuals inside and outside the company from varied production disciplines, such as senior creative and production executives and artists.
- Experience working with a wide range of entertainment and/or technology agreements a plus.
- Ability to evaluate and reconcile issues from the business-unit and enterprise level perspective.
- Ability to prioritize and take initiative, maintain attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, with the ability to follow through on numerous projects.
- Ability to work in an environment with a high degree of confidentiality.
Admission to California State Bar Association (or Registered In-House Counsel) and law degree from an accredited law school.