A trusted advisor to leadership in the development of novel medicines with a remarkable impact on patients, the Counsel, R&D, Alliance Management and Transactions will be an integral part of a team of attorneys providing strategic legal and business advice in support of AbbVie’s alliance management organization. For candidates with strong leadership and strategic thinking skills, this role provides the opportunity to work cross-functionally with research, development and commercial teams and other corporate functions, including intellectual property, litigation, investor relations and public affairs.
The Counsel, R&D, Alliance Management and Transactions, will be responsible for identifying and resolving, highly complex legal issues and drafting and negotiating agreements. The responsibilities of the Counsel, R&D, Alliance Management and Transactions will include:
- Advising the AbbVie Alliance Management team in connection with alliance and collaboration activity throughout the pharmaceutical life cycle.
- Independently interpreting complex existing agreements and advising on complex situations that may arise related to the research, development and commercialization of pharmaceutical products.
- Analyzing and clearly communicating legal advice designed to maximize outcomes for patients and for AbbVie on complex, strategic agreements related to pharmaceutical licenses and collaborations and other strategic alliances.
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide variety of agreements, including license, transactional and complex R&D agreements and other documentation with collaboration and research partners.
- Providing clear advice to clients, including Legal leadership, ensuring that advice maximizes the potential of our pipeline.
- Serve as recognized source, for both management and other attorneys, of innovative ideas in complex areas of law, business, or technology.
- Must possess a J.D. degree, and meet the professional licensing requirement of the state in which they practice.
- Experience in advising on ongoing complex contractual relationships, such as development collaborations. Ability to use legal training to maximize business opportunities.
- Excellent legal analysis skills and crisp, concise communicator, and honed judgment and ability to identify and quickly address critical issues. Ability to support the achievement of pharmaceutical business objectives by providing clear and practical counsel, including evaluating and managing risk.
- Strong sense of urgency and drive for successful business outcome in all activities.
- 4-5+ years of relevant experience.