The Corporate Counsel, Technical Operations acts as dedicated legal counsel to the Technical Operations function globally. This global role is responsible for advising and collaborating with the business on a broad array of issues related to product development, quality, manufacturing, supply chain, and new product technology. The Corporate Counsel, Technical Operations will provide legal support for other departments and areas of the organization as needed. The type of strategic counselling necessary at this level requires this person to apply in-depth knowledge of the company, external environment, and industry best practices to analyse and solve issues. The ideal candidate will have experience counselling clients regarding risks in the technical operations space. In addition, candidates must have a thorough understanding of laws and regulations applicable to manufacturing and supply chain operations for global pharmaceutical companies. This person must be proficient in drafting and negotiating contracts in this area.Key Job Responsibilities:
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Serve as primary legal support for and a strategic business partner to the Technical Operations functions at Jazz Pharmaceuticals. This includes providing solutions-oriented legal advice and counsel in support of both annual and long-term corporate objectives
- Apply legal expertise, drafting, and negotiation skills to counsel and support Technical Operations functions to effectively manage risks on contractual matters, including drafting, review, and negotiation of legal agreements related to Technical Operations (e.g., logistics, supply, manufacturing and supply, development manufacturing and services, CMOs, outsourcing, quality technical agreements, etc.)
- Proactively identify potential legal risks; formulate and communicate solutions-oriented, compliant, and practical legal advice that meet corporate and Technical Operations’ strategic objectives and priorities.
- Understand business priorities, fiscal impacts, and implications. Balance legal risks with the need to meet business priorities.
- Conduct thorough and reasoned analysis of complex legal issues, and develop creative and effective solutions using in-depth knowledge of the company, relevant laws and regulations, the external environment, and industry best practices.
- Identify the need for new, or updates to existing, policies, procedures, templates, and contract playbooks. Provide legal expertise while partnering with the business and Compliance to develop meaningful and relevant policies, SOPs, and guidance documents.
- Advise stakeholders on the interpretation of applicable laws and regulations in a manner that provides practical legal advice while properly managing risk to the organization.
- Create and deliver training and other presentations to business partners and other members of team on legal topics and other relevant subjects.
- Drive increased efficiency, coordination, and effectiveness of legal advice, processes and support to meet the needs of the business and other key stakeholders.
- Serve as part of matrixed teams involved in franchise activities and collaborate effectively, find common ground, and build alignment with relevant stakeholders.
- Lead special projects and cross-functional teams that impact the department and business partners, including asset integration.
- Partner with Legal department colleagues in executing and enhancing corporate and department objectives.
- Keep informed of new laws, regulations, and industry trends to identify any potentials impacts to the organization.
- Coordinate with external counsel as needed on matters within area of responsibility (including the setting of outside counsel budgets and management of associated outside counsel spend)
- Provide legal support for technical operations aspects of major transactions, including M&A and other business development transactions, including the asset integration implementation of post-closing contracts
- Work closely with the Legal Operations and Strategy function to develop templates, playbooks, and processes to support the efficient delivery of legal services in the subject areas of support.
- Practicing lawyer or solicitor qualified in the US or Europe. Minimum 7+ years of combined experience in-house and with a law firm, with some of those years in-house at a biotech or pharmaceutical company.
- Experience of working extensively with a variety of contracts (including supply contracts) required, preferably in pharmaceuticals, healthcare or a related industry.
- Experienced in advising clients on laws and regulations governing technical operations of the pharmaceutical industry.
- Demonstrated experience working in a matrixed business environment, managing multiple commitments and clients while prioritizing conflicting demands, maintaining focus on corporate objectives and providing quality customer service.
- Must be self-motivated, proactive, strategic, and exhibit excellent judgment.
- Ability to be successful within a fast-paced, evolving environment.
- Possess the ability and willingness to advance new ideas and recognize when decisions may have a broad impact on the global organization.
- Consistently take action and drive issues to closure and hold self and others accountable for achieving results.
- Adept at understanding of the motivation and needs of others and effectively communicating with a diverse audience, including senior leaders, in a manner that generates confidence and support for proposals/recommendations.
- Adept at the ability to develop close, trusting relationships with a diverse set of individuals, characterized by a high-level of collaboration and mutual respect.
- Demonstrates a strong sense of self-awareness and skills to diffuse difficult situations and resolve conflicts.
- Demonstrated experience interpreting and drafting legal documents, including contracts.
- Legal analysis and advice is well thought out and accurate, potential legal and compliance issues are consistently identified, Corporate Counsel takes ownership and responsibility for legal issues that arise with the function(s) the Corporate Counsel supports.
- Ability to create and deliver effective oral presentations, train, and educate stakeholders and members of the department on legal topics and issues.
- Must consistently demonstrate leadership behaviors and ability.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Solutions-oriented, pragmatic and proactive in his/her approach to contracting and able to work both collaboratively and autonomously.
- Self-starter; able to work with minimal supervision.
- Exemplary drafting skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Periodic travel throughout the United States and Europe required.
Required Education and Licenses
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree; licensed to practice law.
- If a Europe candidate, licensed to practice law in the local region, and country candidate is based in.
When you Apply, don't forget to mention that you found this job on Attorneyjobsinusa.com.