Weedmaps is the leading technology platform in the cannabis industry. Our mission is to power a transparent and inclusive global cannabis economy.
We are looking for a Corporate and Transactional Counsel to join our amazing Legal team! Our Legal Department takes an active role in guiding the direction and structure of our strategic initiatives, products, and commercial arrangements. We’re a team of generalists who all bring deep knowledge in our areas of expertise but handle the breadth of legal issues that Weedmaps encounters. You’ll focus your efforts on a wide array of corporate and commercial matters, including securities, corporate governance, acquisitions, investments, and commercial transactions. And you’ll collaborate with business partners throughout the organization to help them navigate the complex legal landscape at the intersection of technology and cannabis.
The Impact You'll Make:
- Draft, negotiate, review, and interpret commercial agreements (with a focus on SaaS and other technology agreements) with our vendors, partners, and customers.
- Provide tactical and strategic advice to Weedmaps business leaders on corporate finance and securities law matters, and manage corporate governance and administration for Weedmaps and its domestic and international subsidiaries, including preparing Board of Director materials and corporate resolutions, managing local filings, and administering corporate records.
- Assist in creating and improving processes, agreements, document templates and policies.
- Advise business partners on business and legal issues and risks, company policies, and business strategy.
- Provide advice and counsel to the Company and product team regarding new product offerings and functionalities in light of rapidly changing applicable laws.
- Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk, and develop and implement corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues.
- Conduct research regarding legal and compliance issues affecting the Company’s businesses, translating complex laws and regulations into practical advice and solutions.
- Provide advice and counsel to the Company on all matters relating to data privacy and security, including data of users, consumers, employees and third-parties, the negotiation and drafting of data privacy agreements, data privacy requirements for websites, social media, apps, connected products, e-commerce, customer relationship management and the Company’s various products and services, and all laws relating to data privacy and security in the various jurisdictions in which the Company operates, including the US, Canada and the EU.
What you've accomplished:
- JD degree and active membership in at least one US state bar.
- 5+ years of experience practicing corporate or transactional law.
- Minimum of 3+ years of corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, securities, or technology transactions experience working at or advising technology companies (either in-house and/or at a global law firm).
- Knowledge of global privacy and consumer protection laws, regulations, and industry guidelines, especially those relevant for ad tech and Internet companies.
- Experience advising product teams in a technology company.
Your Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Highly self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability and willingness to quickly develop expertise in legal and regulatory areas to meet needs of our dynamic business.
- Strong analytical, drafting and negotiation skills, as well as excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Talent for thinking creatively to find practical solutions to complex issues.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Able to effectively prioritize and manage multiple matters.
- Sophisticated interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop strong internal relationships, influence others, and work as part of cross-functional teams and in partnership with team members at all levels of the organization.
- Able to manage and oversee outside counsel and internal attorneys, paralegals, business associates and other team members.
- Passion for startup-like environments and technology.