We Are Looking For
onX is seeking a part-time in-house Corporate Counsel with a passion for helping to administer contractual relationships and other legal functions. As the company’s first in-house legal professional, the successful candidate will work closely with both the COO and outside counsel to help keep the business moving swiftly while helping to manage risks associated with new opportunities. The Corporate Counsel will focus on agreements large and small (including those governing marketing, business development, service provider, vendor, and other relationships) while helping the company protect and defend its intellectual property (including patents and trademarks). This position represents a great opportunity to balance innovation and risk-mitigation while engaging many parts of the business.
The workload will require approximately 40-50 hours per month, depending on the season; with continued company growth and the right candidate filling the position, it could eventually become a full-time position. The Corporate Counsel will report to the COO and interact with many leaders and executives in the company.Location:
Bozeman, MT; Missoula, MT acceptableResponsibilities
(Essential Job Duties)
- Review contracts and agreements prepared by partners, vendors, service providers, and other parties;
- Identify concerns and escalate clauses, sections, or language that raise questions, while drafting alternatives;
- Compare onX business objectives to legal language and recommend changes so that documents map to onX objectives and risk tolerance;
- Review, draft, and revise scopes of work for certain vendor and partner master services agreements;
- Coordinate and participate in communication with outside counsel and onX leadership as ad hoc issues arise;
- Maintain storage of all onX contracts;
- Assist in the developing and advancing onX’s intellectual property strategy;
- Coordinate with outside counsel to submit filings, respond to office actions, and engage with the USPTO and other entities as needed;
- Track progress and maintain accountability for filing and response deadlines;
- Use well-developed judgment about which issues to address in-house and which to address through outside counsel.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school or, for highly qualified candidates, a paralegal certificate from a recognized program;
- Three (3) or more years of experience in the practice of business law, preferably with some portion of that experience in technology and commercial transactions;
- Specialized knowledge of drafting, reviewing, and negotiating commercial contracts;
- Familiarity with technology companies and SaaS business models;
- Experience in corporate, patents/trademark, and contract law;
- Must be able to communicate effectively with professionalism; and
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Previous experience as in-house counsel for a technology company;
- Familiarity with venture-capital funded growth businesses;