Who We Are:
What makes Discovery Education a GREAT fit for you? When you join Discovery Education, you'll be part of a fast-growing global team that empowers teachers with best-in-class digital curriculum that connects learning to the real-world so that every student can achieve to their highest potential.
We’re the global leader in standards-based digital curriculum for K-12 classrooms, positively impacting students by aligning with strategic partners and educational institutions to deliver award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development and the largest networked learning community of its kind.
For candidates interested in taking their next career step in the educational technology space, Discovery Education offers the fast pace and excitement of working for a startup, the support of an established organization, and the opportunity to be on the front lines of innovation in an industry that is always growing and transforming. Team members enjoy a high-energy, purpose-driven work environment — as well as tremendous opportunities to grow, learn and make a difference. If you like working with a curious, collaborative, high-performing team, Discovery Education is the place for you.
What You’ll Do:
Reporting to the General Counsel, the Counsel role will be a key member of the Legal team. This position will manage, draft, and negotiate complex agreements with all of Discovery Education’s distribution partners with respect to the Company’s core K-12 educational products.Responsibilities
- Draft and negotiate high-level, complex agreements for sales of Discovery Education’s core products to school districts and other K-12 institutions
- Collaborate with business teams to standardize contract forms and increase efficiency of deal execution
- Advise on data privacy law, including staying current on applicable privacy laws, ensuring compliance with such laws and drafting and negotiating DPAs
- Mission-Driven: Passionate about Discovery Education's vision to transform teaching and learning, experience in education or ed-tech industry a plus
- Professional Experience: Minimum of 3+ years of law firm or in-house experience with drafting and negotiating of complex, high-level commercial agreements. Possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Education: J.D. and admission to at least one US State bar
- Communication: Demonstrated collaboration and communication skills
- Hustle: The courage and confidence to work hard and with passion; committed to getting the job done; sustain effort in the face of adversity. Maintain consistency and focus over time with a positive “never give up” attitude
- Collaborative: Ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced, high-energy environment. Team builder, not turf builder
- Self-Motivation and Self-Starter: The ability to do what needs to be done without being micromanaged; ability to manage/prioritize multiple tasks, proactively manage numerous projects, and prioritize competing timelines; demonstrate a problem solving/ solution-oriented approach
- Learning Orientation: Always willing to learn something new, not rigid in beliefs or expectations
- Sense of Humor: Because we all need to laugh sometimes
- Bonus: Experience with data privacy and/or licensing agreements is a plus!
- Legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Education is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery Education is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.