The Corporate Counsel will provide in-house advice and business-law focused legal services.
The Corporate Counsel will work with Fraunhofer USA technical, financial and contract managers to provide legal support for the development, negotiation and implementation of all industry and government funded Research and Development contracts to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations and enact risk assessment and mitigation through customer contract terms review and the interactive negotiation process. The position will also support the management of the organization’s IP portfolio, including the handling of invention disclosures, patent applications, licensing negotiations and engaging and working with external IP lawyers.
The ideal candidate has worked in a research and development contracts environment (e.g., review and negotiation support of contracts between universities and industry partners) and brings a strong legal and contracting background. Experience with and knowledge of federal contracting clauses and requirements with funding agencies such as DoD, DoE, HHS, DOL, NSF and NASA are important aspects to the position. Experience with and knowledge of Export Control due dilligence legal support.
The candidate is a team player, an excellent communicator, and able to work with professionals operating in STEM fields.Responsibilities:
- Provide legal support for contract negotiations with industry, government, and university partners
- Review draft, redline, negotiate when applicable and approve contracts for execution
- Supporting executive management to develop and recommend improvements for standard contractual documents, templates, and clause libraries
- Perform contract risk assessment and mitigation
- Supporting Fraunhofer USA’s R & D coordination with managing the IP portfolio
- Work with the team at the Headquarters on general corporate legal issues as necessary
- Navigate competing priorities and rapidly changing circumstances
- Must be comfortable with working independently and self-directed as well as collaboratively with teams
Educational and experience requirements:
- Juris Doctor law degree and at least 7 years of experience in research contract drafting, review, redlining and negotiation support. General understanding of IP law.