An American Fast Casual Restaurant Chain is looking for an experienced and energetic attorney to join our growing and dynamic Legal Team to support a variety of commercial transactions and the Company’s growth plans. The attorney will be responsible for leading commercial negotiations in designated specialties while managing risk, compliance and applicable regulatory obligations. The Commercial Counsel will be responsible for providing practical, timely legal advice and counsel in the fields of marketing, advertising and intellectual property protection as well as managing retail (Shack)-level commercial and risk matters (including insurance claims).
The successful candidate will possess broad commercial experience particularly in commercial contracts, marketing and advertising law to help manage key business and marketing functions. Experience managing IP portfolios is a plus.
The Corporate Counsel will support the Legal department in fulfilling its overall responsibilities to identify, assess and reduce the company’s legal, financial and business exposure, to ensure the Company’s values and interests are protected and preserved, and to ensure compliance with applicable laws.
Cover letter required with application. Position based out of our NYC Home Office.Key Responsibilities:
- Intellectual Property
- Manage global trademark portfolio and support all intellectual property needs including trademark prosecution; brand protection (including oppositions, invalidations and cancellations); IP strategy; and IP licensing
- Advise and identify risks to marketing and culinary teams as they promote the An American Fast Casual Restaurant Chain brand and products
- Advise on contests, sweepstakes and promotions
- Develop and deliver training for marketing, culinary and other relevant teams, as needed
- Draft, review, negotiate and advise on Shack-level contracts
- o Oversee the administration of all Shack-level guest claims and incidents
- o Develop and refine Shack-level contracts policies
- Develop, maintain and refine legal templates and processes for all designated specialties
- You will report to the Vice President, Senior Corporate Counsel and may manage legal support staff
This is just a sample of the kinds of work that this role will require. Your role will encompass other tasks too.Skills & Knowledge:
- Broad subject matter expertise in marketing and advertising law
- Strong knowledge of trademark law
- Strong and effective document drafting and negotiating skills with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Practical business acumen, driving pragmatic business-oriented solutions
- A highly approachable, collegial and collaborative approach
- Accountable and proactive self-starter, comfortable working independently
- Ability to manage and prioritize workload and multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment; similarly, be self-motivated, have strong organizational skills and
- be detailed-oriented.
- JD from an accredited U.S. law school
- 5-8 years of relevant commercial experience working in a law firm and/or corporate legal department; in-house experience preferred
- Member of the bar in any US jurisdiction with ability to practice in-house in New York
- Retail or Hospitality experience a plus