The Commercial Transactions Attorney is an Individual Contributor role reporting to the VP, Legal. Opportunity to join a small legal department and make a big impact. You will support sales of our Teams products throughout the US and abroad. This attorney will work with strategic leadership, account executives, sales management, Infosec and others at all levels of the company in connection with reviewing, drafting, and negotiating contracts. Also, the Commercial Transactions Attorney will work cross- functionally to ensure all transactions comply with privacy and data security requirements, as well as Stack Overflow’s processes and policies. The successful candidate will have a thorough understanding of all issues concerning contracts and delivery of SaaS products and a service oriented approach, as well as a demonstrated ability to problem solve and negotiate complex sales deals.
Stack Overflow is a dynamic tech company in high growth mode. This is an opportunity to work on cutting edge tech issues, collaborating with some of the best and brightest, while making an impactful contribution.What you’ll do:
What you’ll need to have:
- Draft, review, and negotiate NDAs, commercial sales, evaluation and other agreements (globally) for technology outbound licenses/product sales. This includes negotiating directly with customers and ensuring third party flow through coverage for our commitments.
- Partner with our business teams to provide practical advice on issues and risks, as well as summarize and communicate legal concepts clearly and effectively, to help achieve sales targets
- Work closely with privacy counsel and information security team to help ensure the Company’s compliance with all applicable privacy laws and security policies
- Assist in the update and roll-out of our standard agreement templates and legal processes, to help us scale globally with a consistent but locally relevant approach
- Issue spotting to identify terms that need to be negotiated to conform to Stack requirements
Nice to haves:
- Juris Doctor degree (J.D.) from an accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in at least 1 State
- Minimum 5 years of experience working at a company’s in-house legal department supporting software/SaaS transactions. Total 6-10 years practicing law with majority of experience being transactional and at least 4 years of supporting sales teams including advising on, drafting and negotiating terms on customer paper and online terms, as well as working with client templates.
- Experience issue spotting and advising on a broad variety of business, finance, intellectual property, privacy, security and licensing and other issues in commercial contracts including but not limited to:
- Software/technology licensing and development agreements (including SaaS and PaaS)- sales and vendor agreements
- Online terms imbedded in contracts/templates
- Data Privacy Agreements
- Security requirements
- Product use requirements
- Experienced coordinating with other attorneys and compliance groups in a team-oriented approach, while driving transactions to completion
- Negotiation experience (in particular, the ability to lead negotiations with a multiplicity of parts), as well as analytical and organizational skills
- Refined and well-practiced drafting skills (in particular, the ability to develop creative solutions in areas with evolving legal guidance and unique business challenges)
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible, work independently and remotely, with limited oversight and prioritize work tasks in an effective manner
- Proven ability to creatively accomplish organization goals while assessing and managing legal risk
- Track record of processing a large volume of matters
- Quick learner who is comfortable with change
- Collaborative with a can-do attitude balanced with the ability to gracefully communicate difficult messages
- Comfortable working with all levels of business professionals, including senior management and domestic and international colleagues at other departments in a fast paced environment
- Comfortable working with colleagues located in different time zones
- Proficiency with: MS Word and GMail
What you’ll get in return:
- Proficiency with Google Suite
- Competitive base salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Flexible hours
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Transportation reimbursement
If you want to work remotely…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll be in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunch every day prepared by our own in-house chefs, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.