Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What You'll Do
As part of a small legal team, you'll work hand in hand with our sales team to close deals, negotiate strategic data and content licenses, while working with our product and engineering teams as they develop and launch new products and helping pitch in on compliance, insurance, or whatever comes in the door. You'll ensure our contracts are clear and fair while keeping negotiations efficient and fun. This is a high-growth, interdisciplinary position -- you'll be learning every day and become (if you’re not already) conversant in tech, policy, and finance, as well as law.
On a day-to-day basis, you’ll:
- Draft, review and negotiate Mapbox’s customer agreements and advise on strategic partnerships.
- Support Mapbox’s data acquisitions, in-licenses and other inbound agreements.
- Provide practical and decisive guidance to sales, business development, product and engineering teams that balances business objectives with legal risk.
- Manage and maintain template agreements, contract playbooks and sales process.
- Stay up-to-date on relevant industry, commercial, regulatory, IP and privacy laws, and other developments to give effective advice.
In your first three months, we expect you to:
- Become deeply familiar with our products -- Understanding our products, in-licenses and how we operate is essential to success in this position.
- Become a fully capable Mapbox negotiator -- Learn how we negotiate with customers, partners and vendors and quickly become capable of independently handling negotiations from start to finish (with plenty of support from the legal team along the way).
- Begin working on improving our processes and procedures -- Scaling a company is fun, but also requires us to plan for growth and build out processes and systems. As you deepen your understanding of existing systems, you’ll take on responsibility for helping improving and documenting our procedures. At the beginning, this will primarily take the form of organizing and updating existing contract templates, but will quickly grow to include other aspects of legal operations, such as developing policies, drafting playbooks and training key business teams.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- JD and admission to a state bar (such that you can register as California In-House Counsel).
- At least 3 years' combined experience drafting and negotiating commercial contracts.
- Excellent communication skills. Your writing is clear, concise, and actionable.
- An efficient, cooperative negotiation style. You understand the business deal so you know what matters and what doesn't. You help negotiations feel like partnerships. You add value through creative problem-solving. And you're never the bottleneck to closing.
- Fire, compassion, and a sense of humor. Your clients love working with you and gain confidence from having you in their corner.
- Attention to detail. You know that an errant phrase can become a business liability. You write tidy legal documents and catch typos.
- Previous in-house experience, especially at a startup, is a major plus
- Bonus points for experience with B2B sales, API services, data/content licensing, and/or automotive or logistics industries
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.