Coursera was launched in 2012 by two Stanford Computer Science professors, Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller, with a mission to provide universal access to world-class learning. It is now one of the largest online learning platforms in the world, with 82 million registered learners as of March 31, 2021. Coursera partners with over 200 leading university and industry partners to offer a broad catalog of content and credentials, including Guided Projects, courses, Specializations, certificates, and bachelor’s and master’s degrees. More than 6,000 institutions have used Coursera to upskill and reskill their employees, citizens, and students, including in high-demand fields such as data science, technology, and business. Coursera became a B Corp in February 2021.
Legal and Compliance is responsible for managing all legal and regulatory matters, including contracts, corporate governance, general compliance, academic compliance, employment law matters, intellectual property, product counseling, government relations, and claims. The team includes dedicated teams that support every aspect of Coursera's platform, including university, enterprise, and industry partnerships.
As Commercial Counsel, the successful attorney will draft, negotiate, and manage commercial contracts and will work with business partners to create and improve processes in support of Coursera’s B2B business. We’re looking for an attorney who is passionate about business growth and education. We want a candidate who is energized by the challenges of growing a B2B business globally and being a strategic business partner for a dynamic team experiencing rapid expansion. This role will engage with all levels of employees and management, so interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) are vital to strong working relationships. The position requires a strong background in commercial law.
Check out life at Coursera on The Muse!
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating commercial agreements, including NDAs, data protection addenda, software purchase agreements, and upsell and renewal agreements.
- Interfacing with our sales, information security, privacy and finance teams to navigate customer requirements.
- Assisting in the creation, implementation, and maintenance of contract templates, playbooks, and procedures with the goal of scaling company activities while ensuring manageable risk.
- Tracking contracts from intake, to signature, to filing, including maintaining electronic filing of agreements and tracking requirements resulting from special terms.
- Provide interpretation of contractual terms and guidance on legal and business risks as well as providing creative solutions to potential issues.
- Keeping abreast of applicable laws, regulations and industry guidance that impact Coursera’s commercial agreements and business practices in the Americas region.
- JD with 4+ years of relevant post qualification experience
- Demonstrated proficiency with G Suite and Microsoft Word
- Demonstrated experience in negotiating, drafting, and managing contracts from start to finish
- Possess a practical approach to problem-solving and be able to counsel internal clients with clear, concise and creative advice on timelines to meet business needs
- Operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive, “can do” attitude to the workplace and works collaboratively with other members of the Legal and Compliance team and with internal clients
- Thrives in an ever-changing, start-up environment, and works quickly under time-pressure deadlinesHave integrity and a commitment to ethics