The Commercial Counsel, reporting to Libbey’s Assistant General Counsel, will have a broad range of responsibilities, with a primary focus on supporting the Company’s global commercial organization, including sales and marketing and procurement teams in the U.S., Europe and China. The Commercial Counsel will serve as a legal resource with respect to all aspects of the commercial organization, including but not limited to, advising with respect to commercial initiatives, contracts, intellectual property matters and international trade.
- Combining business perspective and legal analysis to devise innovative solutions with respect to various legal issues related to domestic and foreign manufacturing, distribution, marketing and sales
- Negotiating and drafting a variety of commercial contracts, including customer agreements, non-disclosure agreements, indemnity agreements, marketing agreements, distribution and supply agreements, licensing agreements and technology agreements
- Advising regarding various intellectual property matters, including those involving trademark, copyright and patent law
- Providing strategic guidance with respect to international trade matters and developing proactive solutions to non-tariff trade barriers
Requirements & Qualifications:
- A law degree (J.D.) from an ABA-accredited law school
- Admission to practice law in at least one state. If not admitted in Ohio, the successful candidate must be eligible to register for corporate status with the Ohio bar within 30 days of accepting employment.
- Must have 3-8 years of broad experience as an attorney practicing commercial law. Candidates at the lower end of the range must have at least 3 years of additional experience in a non-legal commercial role.
- Experience partnering with and providing support to sales and marketing and/or procurement teams is a must
- Experience with intellectual property law and/or international trade is a plus
- Large law firm and/or previous in-house counsel experience strongly preferred
- Must demonstrate excellent business judgment and strategic thinking, with a common sense approach to providing proactive and creative solutions and strategies that are responsive to commercial team needs. Must understand commercial imperatives and commercial risks and be able to manage (not necessarily eliminate) legal risks while supporting business goals.
- Must possess excellent organizational skills and an aptitude for project and process management – seeks to do things better, faster and more simply while smartly managing risks
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter who works with a sense of urgency and is able to work without significant supervision
- Must be able to handle multiple priorities concurrently while reacting positively to changes and conflicting priorities
- Must have a consultative and collaborative approach, with demonstrated ability to act as a true business partner
- Must have superior oral and written communication skills; must write and speak in plain English rather than legalese
Libbey Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, age, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other federal, state, or local protected class.