Modern Health is a mental health benefits platform for employers. We are the first solution to cover the full spectrum of mental well-being needs through both evidence-based technology and professional support from a certified coach or therapist. Whether someone wants to proactively manage stress or treat depression, Modern Health guides people to the right care at the right time. We empower companies to help all of their employees be the best version of themselves, and believe in meeting people wherever they are in their mental health journey.
We are a female-founded company, backed by investors like Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, John Doerr, and Y Combinator, and partner with companies like Pixar, Gusto, Okta, EA, and Nextdoor that are taking a proactive approach to mental health care for their employees. Modern Health has raised more than $42 million and is looking for driven, creative, and passionate individuals to join in our mission.
An inclusive and diverse culture are key components of mental well-being in the workplace, and that starts with how we build our own team. If you’re excited about this role, we’d love to hear from you!
As the second attorney on the Commercial Legal team, you will handle a wide variety of commercial legal work, including review of sales and vendor agreements and projects related to support of our Marketing, Customer Success, Sales, Product, and Operations teams. You will drive projects to help the company scale as we grow by adding efficiency to the existing processes and spearheading new initiatives. Reporting to the Director, Legal, this role will be a key advisor to the business.
What You’ll Do-
Who You Are-
- Lead negotiations of sales deals and provide guidance to the Sales and Customer Support teams on legal aspects of customer-facing negotiations
- Work closely with the Sales and Operations team on negotiating arrangements with our prospective commercial partners and suppliers
- Propose and create internal process improvements and standard practices, including creating playbooks and internal resources for the Legal and other teams
- Collaborate with the Sales and Marketing teams to ensure that all customer-facing material presents our product and company fairly and accurately
- Negotiate vendor deals and assist different teams in assessing risk related to purchasing by the company
- Collaborate closely with other members of the Legal team to achieve common goals and objectives
- Propose creative ideas as to how we can work within the law to provide amazing user experiences
- 3+ years of combined, relevant experience in in-house Legal departments and/or law firms
- Experience negotiating customer and vendor-facing commercial deals
- Experience with creating processes to increase efficiency of the Legal and other teams
- Demonstrated business judgment, intellectual creativity, and rigorous problem-solving skills
- Extremely strong written and oral communication skills with a persistent eye toward problem-solving
- Adept at operating in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- California Bar admission in good standing (or Registered In-House Counsel status with California State Bar)
- Experience working on commercial matters in health technology sector is a big plus
- Experience advising on international deals is also a plus
- 100% coverage for Medical / Dental / Vision
- Stipend towards mental health benefits
- 401k plan
- Flexible PTO
- Passionate team dedicated to making a positive impact
- Awesome office with snacks and catered lunch in the Financial District
- Generous parental leave policy
- Unlimited career growth opportunity