About the role:
The Legal team at Metromile works closely with our business partners across the company to provide advice and counsel to help navigate the legal landscape in both the tech and insurance industries. Legal includes the legal, regulatory, compliance, and claims litigation functions for the organization. We are a fast-paced team, lean but growing, that cares deeply about our products as well as our internal clients and external customers.
This Commercial Counsel position is an exciting opportunity for an outstanding business-minded attorney. This is not the typical legal counsel role. It has all of the usual legal responsibilities, but it is also an opportunity for the right candidate to make a mark at a fast paced, recently public company.You Will:
- Negotiate, draft and review a wide variety of contracts including but not limited to MSAs, SOWs, SaaS, marketing, partnership and professional services agreements, inbound and outbound contracts, data use agreements, NDAs, and agency agreements.
- Contribute to the design and continuous improvement of standard forms, business policies and procedures, legal processes and systems to help us expand into new states, scale with the business and maximize efficiency and velocity.
- Manage business risk and ensure statutory compliance needs are accurately reflected in agreements
- Support the company in solving complex legal issues and advise on other general corporate matters as necessary
- Need a strong understanding of commercial legal concepts and strong drafting and contract negotiation skills, with an exceptional attention to detail
- Have experience in advising business partners on and managing numerous deals on tight deadlines
- Have experience in negotiating complex SaaS license and related agreements with major enterprise customers
Nice to Haves
- JD with solid academic credentials
- Admission, in good standing, to the bar of at least one state
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant legal experience at either a large law firm or in-house legal department with significant experience drafting and negotiating commercial agreements
- Demonstrated ability to provide sound, practical legal and business advice with a business and solution-oriented approach to resolving issues
- High level of organization, prioritization and project management skills, tech savvy
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with an ability to work cross-functionally, communicate well within and outside Legal to audiences at all levels of the organization
- Detail-oriented, with excellent analytical skills, while also adept at prioritizing competing deadlines and responsibilities, and thrives in a fast-paced environment
- High level of integrity, professionalism, intellectual curiosity, humility, and willingness to grow, along with EQ and a sense of humor
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively across diverse teams, and inspire others to collectively achieve corporate objectives
What’s in it for you
- Top-tier law firm and in-house experience with high-growth companies preferred
- Prior experience working at an insurance company or highly regulated industry preferred
- Expertise in other disciplines, such as corporate compliance, ethics, privacy, records / data governance, employment law, contracts and licensing
- Competitive salary
- Equity awards available
- Excellent benefits package (health, dental, vision, 401K with match)
- Well-being reimbursement, includes home office equipment
- Flexible paid vacation program
- Flexible scheduling/hours
- Remote work options
- 13 paid holidays - 2 of which are flex
- 12 paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
- Annual anniversary gifts (5 yr. - 6 week paid sabbatical)
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the role. Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Metromile’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
Metromile is committed to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture at all levels. We nurture a sense of community by investing in one another’s unique backgrounds and experiences to drive business success and positively influence our services and products.