Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. 30 million people around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant every day. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for a Commercial Lawyer to join our Grammarly Business leadership team and work across all commercial aspects of our B2B business. This role will drive a revision of our contracting standards, negotiate and help close deals in partnership with our Sales team, and provide advice on continued improvements across our contract terms, process, and related items (e.g., DPA). The Commercial Lawyer will be a part of Grammarly’s larger legal organization and partner closely with all leaders in Grammarly Business as well as with corporate executives, including the General Counsel, CFO, CEO, Head of Product, and Head of Revenue. This position will report directly to the General Manager of Grammarly Business.
- As Grammarly Business grows quickly, our commercial capacity will grow significantly across traditional sales deals and online self-serve sales. We will also expand into third-party distribution agreements and related partnership arrangements. You will be essential to ensuring that growth and expansion are pursued in the right way. You will be supported with a dedicated legal operations staff member and have access to outside counsel when required.
- We’re looking for someone who will thrive in a collaborative, high-growth environment and who is passionate about creating strong and efficient commercial standards that can scale.
- Within your first 30 days, you will onboard to the Grammarly Business leadership team and focus on understanding our product, our current agreements, and the negotiation process. You will establish a set of priorities to improve the quality and efficiency of our sales negotiations.
- By month three, you will have implemented changes to the sales negotiation and contracting processes along with related standard agreements. You will learn about online self-serve Terms of Service and set priorities for improvement.
- By month six, you will have implemented changes across sales and self-serve channels and established repeatability and efficiency standards for the organization.
- By month nine, you will have expanded your scope to include commercial partnerships as well as niche segment contracting terms (e.g., state-level educational institutions).
- Beyond your first year, you will foster excellence in all Grammarly Business commercial processes.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Holds a JD and maintains active bar membership in at least one US state (strong preference for California bar membership).
- Demonstrates outstanding judgment and makes consistent good decisions for the company and our team members.
- Can effectively negotiate with a positive impact on customer relationships without compromising necessary speed to conclude a transaction.
- Knows firsthand the challenges of a growth stage company and anticipates the problems of scaling.
- Has experience designing, implementing, and executing effective commercial, transaction, and related processes.
- Communicates clearly and empathetically both face-to-face and in writing.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We hire people we trust, and we give team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package that includes superior health care. We also offer ample and defined time off, catered lunches, gym and recreation stipends, admission discounts, and more.